*During an interview with NPR to promote his new country album, Lionel Richie revealed that he was once told by a radio station that “Easy Like Sunday Morning,” which he wrote and originally performed with his former group The Commodores, was ”not black enough.”
The singer wrote the track after being told his previous effort was ”too black,” and couldn’t believe it when he was then told he had swung too far in the opposite direction.
He told NPR music: ”I remember walking into a radio station and the guy said, ‘I’m sorry, Lionel, but this record is just too black.’
”I came back with the next record, ‘Easy Like Sunday Morning’, and the guy said, ‘OK, Lionel, now this record is perfect for pop, but it’s not black enough.’ So, it’s just one of those things where I’ve kind of gone against the grain throughout my entire career.”
Regardless of the radio station’s opinion, the track was a huge hit, and Lionel quickly learned not to listen to other people’s opinions.
The singer has just released “Tuskegee,” a collection of his greatest hits performed country-style, alongside country artists. ”If I had to have another title for this record, it would be called ‘All the Songs That They Told Me Would Ruin My Career,’” he said. ”Every time they told me, ‘This is not where you’re supposed to be,’ I just went there, just defying the laws.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here