*During an interview with NPR to promote his new country album, Lionel Richie revealed that he was once told by a radio station that “Easy Like Sunday Morning,” which he wrote and originally performed with his former group The Commodores, was ”not black enough.”
The singer wrote the track after being told his previous effort was ”too black,” and couldn’t believe it when he was then told he had swung too far in the opposite direction.
He told NPR music: ”I remember walking into a radio station and the guy said, ‘I’m sorry, Lionel, but this record is just too black.’
”I came back with the next record, ‘Easy Like Sunday Morning’, and the guy said, ‘OK, Lionel, now this record is perfect for pop, but it’s not black enough.’ So, it’s just one of those things where I’ve kind of gone against the grain throughout my entire career.”
Regardless of the radio station’s opinion, the track was a huge hit, and Lionel quickly learned not to listen to other people’s opinions.
The singer has just released “Tuskegee,” a collection of his greatest hits performed country-style, alongside country artists. ”If I had to have another title for this record, it would be called ‘All the Songs That They Told Me Would Ruin My Career,’” he said. ”Every time they told me, ‘This is not where you’re supposed to be,’ I just went there, just defying the laws.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'We Are Charleston' Commemorates 1st-year Anniversary of 'The Emanuel Nine'
- Oprah Winfrey Set for First-ever Appearance at 2016 Essence Festival
- Steven Ivory: Farewell to P-Funk’s Bernie Worrell
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams, Madison Keys Advance to 3rd Round; Sloane Stephens Reaches Rain-Delayed 2nd
- Chris Brown Snatches Phone Away From Woman Recording Him (Watch)
- Malia Obama to Intern This Summer at U.S. Embassy in Spain
- Usher’s ‘Don’t Trump America’ Shirt from BET Awards Now On Sale
- Lil Wayne’s Prison Memoir ‘Gone Til November’ Finally Due in October
- Dollywood's 'World's Fastest Wooden Coaster' is Slowed due to Recall
- Be Someone Partners W/ Police for Brains Before Bullets
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here