*During an interview with NPR to promote his new country album, Lionel Richie revealed that he was once told by a radio station that “Easy Like Sunday Morning,” which he wrote and originally performed with his former group The Commodores, was ”not black enough.”
The singer wrote the track after being told his previous effort was ”too black,” and couldn’t believe it when he was then told he had swung too far in the opposite direction.
He told NPR music: ”I remember walking into a radio station and the guy said, ‘I’m sorry, Lionel, but this record is just too black.’
”I came back with the next record, ‘Easy Like Sunday Morning’, and the guy said, ‘OK, Lionel, now this record is perfect for pop, but it’s not black enough.’ So, it’s just one of those things where I’ve kind of gone against the grain throughout my entire career.”
Regardless of the radio station’s opinion, the track was a huge hit, and Lionel quickly learned not to listen to other people’s opinions.
The singer has just released “Tuskegee,” a collection of his greatest hits performed country-style, alongside country artists. ”If I had to have another title for this record, it would be called ‘All the Songs That They Told Me Would Ruin My Career,’” he said. ”Every time they told me, ‘This is not where you’re supposed to be,’ I just went there, just defying the laws.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Black Male Valedictorian, Straight A Student, Barred from Walking Grad Stage
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here