While his views on marijuana then were probably really loose as a college student, they obviously aren’t the same as a president.
While we can all agree that the war on drugs has been a complete loss, why are there still politicians trying to keep marijuana from becoming legal when it’s a drug many Americans use? Additionally, it’s a drug that many feel can help cities in their down economic times.
Here’s an excerpt from an op-ed by Michael Arceneaux in which he speaks about Obama’s war on weed:
Though I agree in principle about what a huge waste of time and resources the war on drugs has been, I can’t say that I share MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell’s enthusiasm about the prospect of President Barack Obama embracing laxer drug laws in a hypothetical second administration. At least not based on recent behavior by his administration. Behavior that, if anything, leaves yet another sour note among a key-voting bloc essential to Obama’s hopes of a securing a second term.
Last fall, Atty. Gen. Eric Holder announced that there would be a federal crackdown on the highly profitable medical marijuana industry in California. The sudden shift surprised advocates given the Obama administration took a relatively low-key approach early on. Earlier this month, though, they made their biggest move yet in this new war on weed as federal agents raided Oaksterdam University, a trade school based in Oakland. DEA and IRS agents reportedly took away computers, files, and marijuana plants, although they didn’t disclose a reason for the raid or charge the owner, Richard Lee, with any crime as of yet.
Read more at NewsOne.
- Black Comedienne to Compete on New Season of 'Last Comic Standing' (WATCH)
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here