While his views on marijuana then were probably really loose as a college student, they obviously aren’t the same as a president.
While we can all agree that the war on drugs has been a complete loss, why are there still politicians trying to keep marijuana from becoming legal when it’s a drug many Americans use? Additionally, it’s a drug that many feel can help cities in their down economic times.
Here’s an excerpt from an op-ed by Michael Arceneaux in which he speaks about Obama’s war on weed:
Though I agree in principle about what a huge waste of time and resources the war on drugs has been, I can’t say that I share MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell’s enthusiasm about the prospect of President Barack Obama embracing laxer drug laws in a hypothetical second administration. At least not based on recent behavior by his administration. Behavior that, if anything, leaves yet another sour note among a key-voting bloc essential to Obama’s hopes of a securing a second term.
Last fall, Atty. Gen. Eric Holder announced that there would be a federal crackdown on the highly profitable medical marijuana industry in California. The sudden shift surprised advocates given the Obama administration took a relatively low-key approach early on. Earlier this month, though, they made their biggest move yet in this new war on weed as federal agents raided Oaksterdam University, a trade school based in Oakland. DEA and IRS agents reportedly took away computers, files, and marijuana plants, although they didn’t disclose a reason for the raid or charge the owner, Richard Lee, with any crime as of yet.
Read more at NewsOne.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here