*Oscar winner Octavia Spencer and “Friday Night Lights” vet Michael B. Jordan are in negotiations to star in “Fruitvale,” a timely indie drama based on the young black man who was shot in the back and killed by Bay Area Transit Authority police on New Year’s Day 2009.
Produced by Forest Whitaker and his Significant Productions partner Nina Yang, “Fruitvale” tells the story of Oscar Grant, whose shooting was captured by numerous cell phone cameras. The film will also depict the ensuing trial and its verdict causing protests and riots. Fruitvale is the name of the station where the event took place.
If deals go through, Jordan will play Grant, the 22-year old man who crosses paths with friends and enemies, family and strangers on his last day. Spencer would play his tough and protective mother.
The project is coming together amid the controversy surrounding the death in February of Trayvon Martin, a young black Florida teen who was shot and killed by a local neighborhood watch officer.
A July production start in northern California is being eyed for Fruitvale.
Spencer, who won this year’s best supporting actress Oscar for her work in “The Help,” is currently filming Diablo Cody’s untitled directorial debut that stars Russell Brand and Julianne Hough, where she plays a blackjack-dealing hipster lounge singer. From there she goes to the sci-fi movie “Snowpiercer,” then to “Smashed,” in which she will play a recovering alcoholic.
Apart from “Friday Night Lights,” appeared on NBC’s “Parenthood” and co-starred in the George Lucas-produced World War I aerial war movie “Red Tails.” He’s currently reteaming with “Friday Night Lights” producer Jason Katims for the NBC pilot “County.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here