That means colleges and universities are going all out to get the high profile names to give their commencement speeches. One of the highest profile people in the world, Oprah Winfrey, has accepted the invitation to give Spelman College’s 2012 commencement address, according to the Atlantic Journal-Constitution.
The college’s graduation ceremony is set for May 20 at the George International Convention Center. Some 550 students are expected to graduate.
Ms. Winfrey is no stranger to Spelman. She received an honorary degree from the college in 1993 and will be given the National Community Service Award this year.
Meanwhile, another high profile person – First Lady Michelle Obama – has accepted invitations to speak at three graduations: Virginia Tech, North Carolina A&T and Oregon State University, at which her brother coaches men’s basketball.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Black Male Valedictorian, Straight A Student, Barred from Walking Grad Stage
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here