That means colleges and universities are going all out to get the high profile names to give their commencement speeches. One of the highest profile people in the world, Oprah Winfrey, has accepted the invitation to give Spelman College’s 2012 commencement address, according to the Atlantic Journal-Constitution.
The college’s graduation ceremony is set for May 20 at the George International Convention Center. Some 550 students are expected to graduate.
Ms. Winfrey is no stranger to Spelman. She received an honorary degree from the college in 1993 and will be given the National Community Service Award this year.
Meanwhile, another high profile person – First Lady Michelle Obama – has accepted invitations to speak at three graduations: Virginia Tech, North Carolina A&T and Oregon State University, at which her brother coaches men’s basketball.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here