Whitney Houston served as the remake’ executive producer and also one of its stars, alongside Jordin Sparks, Cee Lo Green and Mike Epps. The film had already finished filming in Detroit when she died in Beverly Hills on Feb. 11 at age 48.
Houston plays the mother of three girls who form a singing group and struggle with fame and drug addiction. The movie, scheduled for release in August, was seen as a comeback vehicle for the superstar, whose career suffered in recent years as she battled with drug and alcohol abuse.
According to the AP, the preview footage largely focused on Sparks, who was seen playing a piano in a modest home, glasses dangling from her nose. In later scenes, she appeared glammed up in sparkling, curve-hugging gowns. It’s the American Idol winner’s first notable Hollywood role.
Houston labored for 12 years to get “Sparkle” on the big screen. The film marked her first return to cinema since 1996’s “The Preacher’s Wife.” Her Hollywood debut came 20 years ago in the blockbuster movie “The Bodyguard.”
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here