*Sony Pictures and Will Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment are in early talks to acquire film rights to Allen Zadoff’s novel “Boy Nobody,” with plans to develop it as a starring vehicle for Jaden Smith.
“Boy Nobody” is the first in a planned young adult trilogy about a brainwashed teenage assassin who starts to regain his emotions. Little, Brown will publish the novel next spring.
Sources tell Variety that the studio beat out 20th Century Fox for the project and has begun negotiations, although they caution that no deal has yet closed. Overbrook found the property and brought it to Sony, where it has a first-look deal.
The book’s main character is reminiscent of a teenage Jason Bourne, with Zadoff describing him as a “young soldier trained not to feel; who could function in every situation without fear, sympathy or anger; who could assassinate strangers and then walk away emotionally unscathed.”
Smith, who previously starred in Sony’s “The Karate Kid” reboot” and “The Pursuit of Happyness,” as well as 20th Century Fox’s remake of “The Day the Earth Stood Still.” He’s now filming M. Night Shyamalan’s Sony pic “After Earth” with his father, Will.
- Raven-Symoné Co-signs Oprah: 'Black Twitter Hates Me'
- Walmart Denies Customer Confederate Flag Cake, OK's ISIS Cake in Error (Video)
- Michael Sam Ends Six-Month Engagement With Fiancé
- 'UnSung Revisited' Debuts Tonight with Full Force & Paul Anthony
- Kem: 25 Years of Sobriety, Opens Up on Overcoming Drug Addiction
- Bree Newsome Reveals Reason Behind Removing the Confederate Flag
- LA Mayor Garcetti Finally Agrees to Meet with Black Lives Matter Activists (Dramatic Video)
- Compton Mayor Invites Submissions for 'Compton Champions' Awards
- THE (07-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here