Hollywood power couple Salim and Mara Brock-Akil will be featured guests at the 16th Annual American Black Film Festival’s “A Conversation With” panel on Friday, June 22 at the Ritz Carlton South Beach hotel.
The dynamic duo’s feature film credits are just as impressive as their television success. Salim Akil teamed up with Sony Pictures and Our Stories Films to direct the feature film “Jumping the Broom,” starring Angela Basset, Paula Patton and Laz Alonso. The film’s success led to the highly anticipated musical, “Sparkle,” also produced by Akil Poductions. Written by Mara Brock-Akil and directed by Salim Akil, “Sparkle” stars Whitney Houston, Jordan Sparks, Mike Epps and Cee Lo Green.
Salim and Mara Brock-Akil continue to create, develop, and produce projects that entertain as well as bring individuals together and highlight shared human experiences. This year, Mara Brock-Akil has a new series, which she created and wrote, coming to BET Networks. “Single Black Female,” which will premiere on BET later this year, is a biopic about a woman in search of the missing pieces of her successful life as an influential news anchor.
Jeff Friday, Founder and CEO of ABFF states, “This year’s “A Conversation With” discussion is special because we have two guests with individual stories and experiences.” He adds, “Yet, as a married couple, the Akils also bring a very unique perspective about surviving the many pitfalls of the industry and being successful as a team.”
For full details on this year’s festival, visit www.abff.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here