Poitier went on to win many awards throughout his illustrious acting career but nothing beats the first, especially when you make history at the same time.
Today, Poitier has retired from the acting life and shows up at industry events and awards ceremonies only.
Here’s an excerpt from a piece at NewsOne.com
As one of the finest Black thespians to ever grace the silver screen, veteran actor, director and author Sidney Poitier has long cemented his place in the annals of film lore for his staggering list of achievements in the acting world. Long retired, the 85-year-old achieved one of the highest honors in his field 48 years ago today, becoming the first Black actor to win the coveted Academy Award (Oscar) For Best Actor in 1963.
Read more at Newsone
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Supermarkets: Please 'Assume' We Would 'Like a Bag' (Unless We Say Different)
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Wives 'Having 2 Much Fun on Vacay' (Watch)
- How Prince Ended Up on Mobb Deep's Track ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’
- OWN Sets Two-Night Premiere for Ava DuVernay Series ‘Queen Sugar’ (Watch Sneak Peek)
- Watch Rihanna's New 'Sledgehammer' Video inspired by 'Star Trek Beyond!'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here