Poitier went on to win many awards throughout his illustrious acting career but nothing beats the first, especially when you make history at the same time.
Today, Poitier has retired from the acting life and shows up at industry events and awards ceremonies only.
Here’s an excerpt from a piece at NewsOne.com
As one of the finest Black thespians to ever grace the silver screen, veteran actor, director and author Sidney Poitier has long cemented his place in the annals of film lore for his staggering list of achievements in the acting world. Long retired, the 85-year-old achieved one of the highest honors in his field 48 years ago today, becoming the first Black actor to win the coveted Academy Award (Oscar) For Best Actor in 1963.
Read more at Newsone
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here