Poitier went on to win many awards throughout his illustrious acting career but nothing beats the first, especially when you make history at the same time.
Today, Poitier has retired from the acting life and shows up at industry events and awards ceremonies only.
Here’s an excerpt from a piece at NewsOne.com
As one of the finest Black thespians to ever grace the silver screen, veteran actor, director and author Sidney Poitier has long cemented his place in the annals of film lore for his staggering list of achievements in the acting world. Long retired, the 85-year-old achieved one of the highest honors in his field 48 years ago today, becoming the first Black actor to win the coveted Academy Award (Oscar) For Best Actor in 1963.
Read more at Newsone
- Detroit's ZanYe Digs Deep for Ballroom with Reboot of Four Tops Classic
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here