*“90210” star Tristan Wilds and Melonie Diaz have joined the cast off “Fruitvale,” the indie drama about the true-life police shooting of Oscar Grant by the Bay Area Rapid Transit police.
Grant, a young black man, was detained on New Year’s Day 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station when he was shot in the back and killed by police. The event was captured by many cell phone cameras, with the ensuing trial and its verdict causing protests and riots.
As previously reported, Michael B. Jordan and Oscar winner Octavia Spencer have already been cast as Grant and his mother. Wilds will play Grant’s best friend while Diaz is the mother of his young child.
Forest Whitaker and his Significant Productions partner Nina Yang are producing the film, which is timely as it’s being made while in the shadow the controversy surrounding the Feb. 26 death of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot and killed by a local neighborhood watch officer in Florida..
Ryan Coogler is making is feature debut writing and directing the pic.
- George Takei Apologizes for Calling Clarence Thomas 'Clown in Blackface'
- ‘Empire’s’ Kaitlin Doubleday Looking Forward to Chris Rock, Alicia Keys
- Paula Deen Says She Didn't Post the Brownface Pic; Her Twitter Handler Did
- Rick Ross Released from Jail after Posting $2 Million Bail
- FSU’s De’Andre Johnson Says Woman Called Him N-Word Before he Hit Her (Report)
- Bobbi Kristina’s Hospice Room Filled with Whitney’s Music, Photos, Scented Candles (Report)
- Donovan McNabb Arrested on Suspicion of DUI - Again
- Serena Advances at Wimbledon with Win Against Victoria Azarenka
- Women Traveling Solo: Wear a Fake Wedding Ring (and Other Tips!)
- Paula Deen Tweets Photo of Son in Brownface
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here