*“90210” star Tristan Wilds and Melonie Diaz have joined the cast off “Fruitvale,” the indie drama about the true-life police shooting of Oscar Grant by the Bay Area Rapid Transit police.
Grant, a young black man, was detained on New Year’s Day 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station when he was shot in the back and killed by police. The event was captured by many cell phone cameras, with the ensuing trial and its verdict causing protests and riots.
As previously reported, Michael B. Jordan and Oscar winner Octavia Spencer have already been cast as Grant and his mother. Wilds will play Grant’s best friend while Diaz is the mother of his young child.
Forest Whitaker and his Significant Productions partner Nina Yang are producing the film, which is timely as it’s being made while in the shadow the controversy surrounding the Feb. 26 death of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot and killed by a local neighborhood watch officer in Florida..
Ryan Coogler is making is feature debut writing and directing the pic.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): PRINCE IN CINEMA - Remembered by the AAFCA
- Parents of 4-Yr-Old who Fell in Gorilla Enclosure Catching Hell on Social Media
- Newlywed Needs: Best Investment Purchases for the Recently Wed
- THE (05-31-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Dwayne Johnson’s Meal Plan Involves Eating 10 Pounds of Food Everyday
- Janet Jackson’s Trainer Reveals How to Get Her Famous Abs
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Reboot; Won't be Watching
- Police Say This Interracial 'Online Date' Ended in Woman's Death
- Zoo Director on Why Gorilla Was Killed and Not Tranquilized
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here