*“90210” star Tristan Wilds and Melonie Diaz have joined the cast off “Fruitvale,” the indie drama about the true-life police shooting of Oscar Grant by the Bay Area Rapid Transit police.
Grant, a young black man, was detained on New Year’s Day 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station when he was shot in the back and killed by police. The event was captured by many cell phone cameras, with the ensuing trial and its verdict causing protests and riots.
As previously reported, Michael B. Jordan and Oscar winner Octavia Spencer have already been cast as Grant and his mother. Wilds will play Grant’s best friend while Diaz is the mother of his young child.
Forest Whitaker and his Significant Productions partner Nina Yang are producing the film, which is timely as it’s being made while in the shadow the controversy surrounding the Feb. 26 death of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot and killed by a local neighborhood watch officer in Florida..
Ryan Coogler is making is feature debut writing and directing the pic.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here