*“90210” star Tristan Wilds and Melonie Diaz have joined the cast off “Fruitvale,” the indie drama about the true-life police shooting of Oscar Grant by the Bay Area Rapid Transit police.
Grant, a young black man, was detained on New Year’s Day 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station when he was shot in the back and killed by police. The event was captured by many cell phone cameras, with the ensuing trial and its verdict causing protests and riots.
As previously reported, Michael B. Jordan and Oscar winner Octavia Spencer have already been cast as Grant and his mother. Wilds will play Grant’s best friend while Diaz is the mother of his young child.
Forest Whitaker and his Significant Productions partner Nina Yang are producing the film, which is timely as it’s being made while in the shadow the controversy surrounding the Feb. 26 death of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot and killed by a local neighborhood watch officer in Florida..
Ryan Coogler is making is feature debut writing and directing the pic.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toronto Raptors Milk ‘Hotline Bling’ During Drake Night (Video)
- Corey Morgan Charged in Brutal Killing of 9-Year-Old Tyshawn Lee
- Black Friday Fights 2015 - The Best Of...So Far (Watch)
- Traci Braxton on 'The Real' to Deny Beef with Tamar (WATCH)
- Romeo Miller Responds to Mother Suing Him with Emotional Letter
- Miss Robbie Talks Vegan Soul Food, Family Legacy and Being the Best [EUR Exclusive]
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- PETA Offers $5K for Info On Puppies Found in Sealed Aquarium in the Woods
- Patti LaBelle Has More for Walmart; Steph Curry Buys a Mansion
- Laquan McDonald Killing Prompts Protesters to Target Black Friday Shopping Areas
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here