*“90210” star Tristan Wilds and Melonie Diaz have joined the cast off “Fruitvale,” the indie drama about the true-life police shooting of Oscar Grant by the Bay Area Rapid Transit police.
Grant, a young black man, was detained on New Year’s Day 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station when he was shot in the back and killed by police. The event was captured by many cell phone cameras, with the ensuing trial and its verdict causing protests and riots.
As previously reported, Michael B. Jordan and Oscar winner Octavia Spencer have already been cast as Grant and his mother. Wilds will play Grant’s best friend while Diaz is the mother of his young child.
Forest Whitaker and his Significant Productions partner Nina Yang are producing the film, which is timely as it’s being made while in the shadow the controversy surrounding the Feb. 26 death of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot and killed by a local neighborhood watch officer in Florida..
Ryan Coogler is making is feature debut writing and directing the pic.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here