*It’s no coincidence that “Marley,” the critically-acclaimed new Bob Marley documentary, wafts into theaters (and On Demand) on April 20 – the unofficial holiday celebrating marijuana.
Director Kevin Macdonald said it was the studio’s idea to release the biopic on this day as a marketing tool. The film itself, however, delves much deeper than the singer’s pop culture image as a weed-smoking reggae legend.
The film shows how Marley was a savvy businessman, as well as a competitive dad that wouldn’t let even a first-grader win in a foot race. We see the horrifying poverty that surrounded him (he was born in a one-room shack to a Jamaican teen mother and white 60-year-old captain in the British marines), and how he dealt with the social stigma of being bi-racial and Rastafarian.
“Marley,” which has the full blessing of his family, is packed with rare footage, vintage performances and revelatory interviews with the people that knew him best.
Bob Marley’s son Ziggy – who appears in the film with his siblings and serves as an executive producer – says this documentary should now be considered the one and only “definitive” story of his father’s life.
“Definitive, meaning that everything else is secondary to this piece here,” Ziggy told us during interviews for the film this week. “[Out of] everything that has been done, every book that has been written – this documentary is the pinnacle of it all.”
Below, Ziggy explains how he came to discover a different side of his famous father during the course of production. [Scroll down to watch the trailer.]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Camille Cosby Must Give Deposition in Bill Cosby's Sexual Assault Case ... with Limits
- Lamar Odom's First Public Appearance is Kanye’s 'Yeezy Season 3' Show
- Va. Parents Mad As Heck Over White Guilt Video About 'Unequal Opportunity'
- TrOyMan: Back Again with New EP & Single
- 'RACE' Kicks Off NBA All Star Weekend 2016 with Red Carpet Screening (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Camp Reacts to Kanye West Lyric, ‘I Made That B*tch Famous’
- Martin Shkreli Offers Kanye $10M for 'The Life of Pablo' Album
- The Film Strip: Katie Holmes Tackles Mental Illness in 'Touched by Fire’
- Trump Sticker Causes Heated Interaction Between St. John’s University Students
- Raven-Symoné Reacts to Getting Shoved Out of the Way For Kendall Jenner
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here