*On Sunday evening, April 22, 2012, scores of stars braved hammering rain to attend the fiery Opening Night of the long awaited Tennessee Williams’ sweltering drama A Streetcar Named Desire at the Broadhurst Theatre produced by Stephen Byrd, Alia Jones and Anthony Lacavera for a limited run through July 22, 2012.
The sexiest cast on Broadway was superbly directed by Emily Mann and includes two-time Golden Globe nominee, Blair Underwood as “Stanley,” Nicole Ari Parker as “Blanche,” Tony nominee Daphne Rubin-Vega as “Stella” and the role of “Mitch” played by Wood Harris. ‘Streetcar’ – which is set against the sexy backdrop of New Orleans’ gritty French Quarter — tells the tale of former school teacher and socialite Blanche DuBois, as she’s forced to move in with her sister Stella and her abusive husband Stanley. But the fragile, Blanche quickly gets a gritty life lesson in the seamy, steamy underbelly of 1950’s New Orleans.
The legendary Terence Blanchard has written an original soundscape that’s as stunning as the spirited staff. ‘Streetcar’s’ creative team includes set by Eugene Lee, costumes by Paul Tazewell, lighting by Ed Pierce and sound by Mark Bennett. “We are very excited to finally get a theatre for our production of A Streetcar Named Desire.” exclaimed producer Byrd! “We have been waiting for this moment for a long time and to go back to the Broadhurst, where we started with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, feels like a homecoming.” The after-party was held at the Copacabana and featured entertainment by Les Nubians. (Photos by Walter McBride)
Audrey J. Bernard is an established chronicler of Black society and Urban happenings based in the New York City area.
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here