Once he made the leap, a huge population of supporters rejected his ideas.
Black clergymen publicly shared their disdain for the president’s new stance.
The Rev. Al Sharpton is the only high-profile Black religious leader to come out and support Obama’s announcement. However, a seeming majority of black pastors who run some of America’s largest churches are not with the president on this decision.
Here are some reactions from black pastors and other religious leaders.
Bishop Harry Jackson, senior pastor of Hope Christian Church in MD, said “I think the president has been in this place for awhile and that he chose this time because he thought that it might shift the balance of power. The timing made me suspect the motives were political, coming out of the North Carolina victory for the traditional marriage groups and maybe have people kind of rally behind this pro same-sex marriage cause.”
Albert Mohler said, “Pres. Obama’s evolution ends. He publicly supports same-sex marriage (again). Even his friends knew his “evolving” position was dishonest. Why did Pres. Obama make his same-sex marriage statement now? Wash. Post. reports that 1 in 6 of his most generous fundraisers is openly gay.”
Read more comments at NewsOne.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Thousands in D.C. for 20th Anniversary of Million Man March
- Study Reveals White People Think Black People Are 'Superhuman'
- The Braxtons Announce Christmas Album
- Stevie Wonder to Pay Royalties to Dead Attorney's Widow Forever?!
- Sheree Whitfield Lands Reality Series About ATL Real Estate
- Quvenzhane Wallis' Book Deal, J-Hud Says Son 'Saved My Life'
- Patti LaBelle, Quentin Tarantino + More on 'The Big Interview'
- 18,500 Parents, Students, and Educators Rally to Demand End to 'Tale of Two School Systems' in New York City [PHOTOS]
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Universal Pictures’ Steve Jobs is a Brilliant Look into a Genius' Mind
- Raven Symone Hates Ethnic Names, Nicki Minaj Beef, Kardashian's Named 1st Family | BHL's This Week
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here