*Cornell University has temporarily suspended an off-campus fraternity pending the outcome of an investigation into an incident involving racial epithets and beer bottles thrown at a group of black pedestrians.
The Sigma Pi fraternity Tuesday was placed on “interim suspension” by the school’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, reports the Ithaca Independent.
The school also filed a Bias Activity report about the Sunday incidents, the university announced. The incident included reports of people “making racial references,” Cornell Police Chief Kathy Zoner told the campus newspaper. Cornell University Police and Ithaca Police responded to fraternity house.
“Once we have completed a review of the incident, including who was involved, appropriate action will be taken,” announced Vice President for Student and Academic Services Susan Murphy. Sigma Pi blames “a large number of outsiders” attending an event at the fraternity’s house at 730 University Avenue, reports the Cornell Daily Sun.
Fraternity Chapter President Zach Smith told the newspaper the organization had “figured out who the perpetrator was, and will turn his name over to police.” The Ithaca Police Department is conducting a criminal investigation, according to a Cornell University statement.
As previously reported, a group of black Cornell students reported people on the roof of the Sigma Pi fraternity threw bottles at them as they walked by. When one of the pedestrians told the group to stop, one person on the roof reportedly said “‘Come up here, Trayvon,” a black student told the newspaper. The comment was a reference to the February shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin.
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here