*During an appearance on Sunday’s “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” Newark, NJ Mayor Cory Booker spoke on a variety of topics – from his political future, to his diet, to his headline-making rescue of a neighbor from a burning building earlier this year.
According to The Star-Ledger, host Oprah Winfrey taped the show in April and therefore did not deal with the mayor’s attack last week on President Obama’s re-election campaign or his subsequent walk-back on YouTube.
When asked if he would someday run for president, he said, “No, it’s not something I can visualize right now,” adding “I don’t know if I’ll run for a third term. I don’t know if I’ll run for a higher office. I don’t know if I’ll do something outside of politics.”
Booker has been mulling a run for U.S. Senate against Sen. Frank Lautenberg in 2014 and is often mentioned as a contender to run against Gov. Chris Christie, according to the Star-Ledger.
Winfrey asked about the relationship between the mayor and governor.
“He said that the two of you are in contact quite often,” Winfrey said.
“I texted him today and he texted me right back,” Booker responded.
Booker said that his relationship with Christie was born of pragmatism.
“We have a lot of things that we disagree on and in a lot of ways we’re different. But the urgencies that I feel, I’m dependent upon the state,” Booker said. “If I want to put a shovel in the ground here in Newark I’ve got to get some state permit to do something.”
Winfrey pressed Booker on whether Newark was a “pit-stop” for him on the way to other ambitions — a long-simmering suspicion of many Newarkers.
“I came to Newark as a young man in my mid-20’s,” Booker said. “I’m now approaching my mid-40’s. This has been about two decades of a so-called pit stop. I owe my life in many ways to the city of Newark. I always say I wasn’t born here, but I’m very likely going to die here.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kanye West Reportedly Fired Security Guard for Trying to Talk to His Wife
- Prince Being Added to Apollo Theater’s Walk of Fame
- Jay Z To Tell ‘His Side ’ of Beyonce Marriage in New Album (Report)
- Heartbreaking: Teen Bullied on Social Media Over Her Prom Photo
- Lawrence Adjah, Founder of Our Family Dinner, Seeks to Re-Connect Millennials
- Prince Update: He was Scheduled to Meet with Addiction Doctor (Report)
- Beyoncé Announces Investment in Watermelon Sports Drink Co.
- Did You Wake Up to The Voice of 'The Rock'? You Could (Watch)
- 50 Cent Apologizes to Family of Autistic Airport Worker
- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder wants Pres. Obama to Drink Flint Water
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here