*During an appearance on Sunday’s “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” Newark, NJ Mayor Cory Booker spoke on a variety of topics – from his political future, to his diet, to his headline-making rescue of a neighbor from a burning building earlier this year.
According to The Star-Ledger, host Oprah Winfrey taped the show in April and therefore did not deal with the mayor’s attack last week on President Obama’s re-election campaign or his subsequent walk-back on YouTube.
When asked if he would someday run for president, he said, “No, it’s not something I can visualize right now,” adding “I don’t know if I’ll run for a third term. I don’t know if I’ll run for a higher office. I don’t know if I’ll do something outside of politics.”
Booker has been mulling a run for U.S. Senate against Sen. Frank Lautenberg in 2014 and is often mentioned as a contender to run against Gov. Chris Christie, according to the Star-Ledger.
Winfrey asked about the relationship between the mayor and governor.
“He said that the two of you are in contact quite often,” Winfrey said.
“I texted him today and he texted me right back,” Booker responded.
Booker said that his relationship with Christie was born of pragmatism.
“We have a lot of things that we disagree on and in a lot of ways we’re different. But the urgencies that I feel, I’m dependent upon the state,” Booker said. “If I want to put a shovel in the ground here in Newark I’ve got to get some state permit to do something.”
Winfrey pressed Booker on whether Newark was a “pit-stop” for him on the way to other ambitions — a long-simmering suspicion of many Newarkers.
“I came to Newark as a young man in my mid-20’s,” Booker said. “I’m now approaching my mid-40’s. This has been about two decades of a so-called pit stop. I owe my life in many ways to the city of Newark. I always say I wasn’t born here, but I’m very likely going to die here.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here