*Folks attending the 2012 Essence Music Festival will get to witness something that hasn’t happened in 10 years – a live performance from D’Angelo.
The reclusive crooner will perform during the festival’s opening night, organizers announced. The annual event runs from July 6-8 in New Orleans and also features Trey Songz, Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige on the bill.
D’Angelo’s last album was 2000’s “Voodoo,” which went platinum and earned two Grammy Awards, including best R&B album. His debut, 1995’s “Brown Sugar,” was a platinum seller.
Since that, D’Angelo has been off the music scene, drawing more attention for his run-ins with the law.
The 37-year-old wrapped up a prostitution case last month by pleading guilty to disorderly conduct after his March 2010 arrest.
His record label said he is working on a new album.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Shanice Williams Says She and Dorothy Are the Same in 'The Wiz Live!'
- John Legend Records First-Ever Holiday Duet With the Stars [Listen]
- Porsha Williams, Cynthia Bailey 'RHOA' Fight, Time to Retire B-word?
- Vivica A. Fox Wants an 'Empire' Spinoff Based on Candace
- Report: Tom Joyner Being Forced Out of Own Radio Show; Russ Parr to Take Over
- 50 Cent Sitcom ‘My Friend 50’ Headed to Fox
- The Best of Black Twitter’s #PopeBars
- Mom of Ronald Johnson Wants Dashcam Video of Son's Killing Released (VIdeo)
- 'L&HHH's' Milan Christopher Denies Dating ‘Empire’s’ Jussie Smollett
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here