*Actress Dawnn Lewis, perhaps best known as the college coed Julissa on “A Different World,” has been quietly keeping busy with voice over work in multiple television roles. But next month, viewers will get to see her on screen in the Disney Channel movie “Let it Shine.”
The gospel-themed musical stars Tyler James Williams (Everybody Hates Chris) as a shy, talented musician who writes romantic rap verses for the girl of his dreams, only to see his best friend deliver them to her – and reap the benefits.
“It’s a modern day spin on the Cyrano de Bergerac story,” says Dawn, who plays the boy’s mother. She’s also the first lady of a small Baptist church in Atlanta pastored by Courtney B. Vance. Their son, named Cyrus DeBarge, is also the church’s Minister of Music, which, in his parents’ eyes, does not jibe with his love of hip hop.
“We turn our praise team over to him and he comes back into church with the praise and worship team singing and dancing, breakdancing and doing hip hop praise music in the sanctuary,” Lewis tells EURweb with a laugh. “We’re not quite sure how to deal with that. It’s a little harder for my husband than it is for me.”
Lewis, who handled the theme song for “A Different World” for several seasons, says some of the filmmakers had no idea she could sing when they asked her one day on set. Listen below.
“Let it Shine” premieres June 15 at 8 p.m. on the Disney Channel. Watch the trailer below.
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here