The British actor got real in a recent interview with Uptown Magazine about being a black actor. When asked about the shortage of roles for black actors, he frankly answered, “Next question.”
“I’m so bored of answering that. Are there differences between black actors’ opportunities and white actors’ opportunities? Yes, there are. It’s been said. I’d rather a young black actor read about success as opposed to how tough it was. I get these roles because I can act and that’s it. Hopefully that’s it. The less I talk about being black, the better.”
In other words, Elba wants to be an actor and respected for his work. Yes the differences are obvious, but it’s time to move passed that and appreciate the work.
Elba has certainly shined brightly among his peers, both black and white, showing his diversity and range as an actor.
Whether or not his comment will be accepted by anyone is up for debate. But the fact of the matter is, he’s tired of answering that question.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Idris Elba, Freida Pinto Set for John Ridley’s Showtime Miniseries ‘Guerrilla’
- Serena Williams Advances to Second Round at Wimbledon
- Hot Rumor: The Entire ‘L&HH: Atlanta’ Cast Has Been Fired!
- WATCH Queen Latifah's Hilarious 'Ice Age' Freestyle (EUR Exclusive)
- Rihanna Posts Crotch Video of Her Performance in Glasgow (Watch)
- Chris Brown’s Long Suffering Publicist Quits After He Curses Her Out
- Man 'Pulls Penis Out' to Scan on Self-Service Tray (Yes, He's in Jail)
- Pres. Obama Tries to Name Everyone Who Died on ‘Game of Thrones' - For a Good Cause (Watch)
- Sheila E on Her Prince Tribute for BET and its Emotional Toll
- BET’s Debra Lee on Jesse Williams, D’Angelo’s Absence, Electrocution Concerns for Beyonce, More
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here