*Count Jay-Z among the celebrities backing President Obama for his support of gay marriage.
“I’ve always thought it as something that was still holding the country back,” the rapper told CNN, referring to bans on same-sex marriage. “What people do in their own homes is their business and you can choose to love whoever you love. That’s their business. [It] is no different than discriminating against blacks. It’s discrimination plain and simple.” [Scroll down to watch the clip.]
One of the president’s most skeptical constituencies, in fact, is the African American community, as many of its religious leaders are skeptical of gay marriage; ABC News reported on Monday that Obama reached out to many of the top pastors to explain himself on the issue, with many calling themselves “conflicted.”
For his part, Jay-Z shrugged off the potential loss of support — not because he didn’t believe it would happen, but because he said that backing gay marriage was more important than winning votes.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (05-31-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Dwayne Johnson’s Meal Plan Involves Eating 10 Pounds of Food Everyday
- Janet Jackson’s Trainer Reveals How to Get Her Famous Abs
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Reboot; Won't be Watching
- Police Say This Interracial 'Online Date' Ended in Woman's Death
- Zoo Director on Why Gorilla Was Killed and Not Tranquilized
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Disgraced Cop Daniel Hotlzclaw Denies Raping Poor Black Women
- First Listen: Half Mile Home's 'Thinking of Me'
- Big Boi Meme Comparing Mothers of Today & 70s Causes Black Twitter Outrage
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here