*After years of playing the background as a backup singer for Alicia Keys, Jermaine Paul of Team Blake was voted the winner of NBC’s singing contest “The Voice” Tuesday night, nabbing a recording contract with Universal Republic Records, a $100,000 cash prize and a jump start on his dream solo career.
Paul collapsed into a hug from his coach Blake Shelton and wiped away tears as he thanked his wife, children, and all of the people who voted for him. He ended his speech by shouting, “Nobody but Jesus!” [Scroll down to watch.]
Through tears and a long embrace from his wife, he sang R. Kelly’s “I Believe I Can Fly” to close out the show, which he also belted in his final performance on Monday’s performance show.
Paul beat out fellow contestants Juliet Simms of Team Cee Lo (Green), Tony Lucca of Team Adam (Levine), and Chris Mann of Team Christina (Aguilera). Host Carson Daly revealed that Paul edged out second place finalist Simms by fewer than four percentage points.
Tuesday’s special two-hour finale included performances from stars such as Justin Bieber, Lady Antebellum, Flo Rida, and Hall & Oates. Also, past contestants from this season were invited back to perform with the four finalists.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Deya Direct Podcast: What is a Man Whisperer?
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Russell Simmons Announces All Def Movie Awards
- Aretha Franklin to Perform for First Time Ever in Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- Meryl Streep's 'We’re all African' Crazy Talk About Diversity
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Boot Campaign Honors Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Marie Walters
- Black History Month at ESPN: 'SportsCenter' at Hampton for Historic Lacrosse Match; ‘Rise Up’; ‘Spike Lee’s Lil Joints’; NBA's John Wall & Miyah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here