*After years of playing the background as a backup singer for Alicia Keys, Jermaine Paul of Team Blake was voted the winner of NBC’s singing contest “The Voice” Tuesday night, nabbing a recording contract with Universal Republic Records, a $100,000 cash prize and a jump start on his dream solo career.
Paul collapsed into a hug from his coach Blake Shelton and wiped away tears as he thanked his wife, children, and all of the people who voted for him. He ended his speech by shouting, “Nobody but Jesus!” [Scroll down to watch.]
Through tears and a long embrace from his wife, he sang R. Kelly’s “I Believe I Can Fly” to close out the show, which he also belted in his final performance on Monday’s performance show.
Paul beat out fellow contestants Juliet Simms of Team Cee Lo (Green), Tony Lucca of Team Adam (Levine), and Chris Mann of Team Christina (Aguilera). Host Carson Daly revealed that Paul edged out second place finalist Simms by fewer than four percentage points.
Tuesday’s special two-hour finale included performances from stars such as Justin Bieber, Lady Antebellum, Flo Rida, and Hall & Oates. Also, past contestants from this season were invited back to perform with the four finalists.
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here