San Diego Chargers Chaplain Shawn Mitchell told ABCNews.com that Seau died of a “self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest this morning.” Seau was 43.
Seau’s mother broke down in tears at a press conference outside her son’s home this afternoon, saying “Take me, take me, leave my son, but it’s too late.”
Oceanside police chief Frank McCoy said a woman who identified herself as Seau’s girlfriend called 911 at 9:45 a.m. and told the dispatcher that she had found Seau unconscious in a bedroom with a gunshot wound to the chest. McCoy said a handgun was found near Seau’s body, and authorities are investigating the former NFL player’s death as a suicide.
The Chargers released a statement to ABC News’ San Diego affiliate: “Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now. We ask everyone to stop what they’re doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family.”
Read/learn more at ABC News.
- Adrian Peterson is the Father, Says Massage Therapist
- Al Roker’s ‘Wake Up With Al’ Show Cancelled Over Email Fight
- 53rd New York Film Festival Headed for Another Great Run
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here