San Diego Chargers Chaplain Shawn Mitchell told ABCNews.com that Seau died of a “self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest this morning.” Seau was 43.
Seau’s mother broke down in tears at a press conference outside her son’s home this afternoon, saying “Take me, take me, leave my son, but it’s too late.”
Oceanside police chief Frank McCoy said a woman who identified herself as Seau’s girlfriend called 911 at 9:45 a.m. and told the dispatcher that she had found Seau unconscious in a bedroom with a gunshot wound to the chest. McCoy said a handgun was found near Seau’s body, and authorities are investigating the former NFL player’s death as a suicide.
The Chargers released a statement to ABC News’ San Diego affiliate: “Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now. We ask everyone to stop what they’re doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family.”
Read/learn more at ABC News.
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here