*Junior Seau’s death has officially been ruled a suicide by the San Diego County medical examiner’s office.
An autopsy Thursday confirmed that the former NFL linebacker died of a gunshot wound to the chest, the medical examiner’s office said. Officials said they were awaiting a decision by the family on whether to turn over Seau’s brain to unidentified outside researchers for study.
Seau died Wednesday in his home in suburban Oceanside. Police Chief Frank McCoy said Seau’s girlfriend reported finding him unconscious with a gunshot wound to the chest and lifesaving efforts were unsuccessful.
A gun was found near him, McCoy said. Police said no suicide note was found and they didn’t immediately know who the gun was registered to.
Seau’s ex-wife, Gina, told The Associated Press Wednesday that Seau sustained concussions during his 20-year career. She said she didn’t know if the effects of concussions contributed to Seau’s death.
Seau starred with his hometown San Diego Chargers for 13 years before playing with the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here