*Junior Seau’s death has officially been ruled a suicide by the San Diego County medical examiner’s office.
An autopsy Thursday confirmed that the former NFL linebacker died of a gunshot wound to the chest, the medical examiner’s office said. Officials said they were awaiting a decision by the family on whether to turn over Seau’s brain to unidentified outside researchers for study.
Seau died Wednesday in his home in suburban Oceanside. Police Chief Frank McCoy said Seau’s girlfriend reported finding him unconscious with a gunshot wound to the chest and lifesaving efforts were unsuccessful.
A gun was found near him, McCoy said. Police said no suicide note was found and they didn’t immediately know who the gun was registered to.
Seau’s ex-wife, Gina, told The Associated Press Wednesday that Seau sustained concussions during his 20-year career. She said she didn’t know if the effects of concussions contributed to Seau’s death.
Seau starred with his hometown San Diego Chargers for 13 years before playing with the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Tyler Perry ‘Keeping the Peace' Between Houston, Brown Families
- WATCH: 'Mega Fest of the West' takes overs Long Beach with Celebs & Gospel Artists!
- Raven-Symone Says Caitlyn Jenner’s Moving ‘Too Fast, Too Soon’
- Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah Join NBC’s ‘The Wiz Live!’
- Josh Smith Says Making $6.9 Million will be A Hardship for Him (VIDEO)
- Pres. Obama on 2016 Election: 'I Think If I Ran, I Would Win'
- Rumor or Fact? L.A. Gangs Threaten to Kill 100 People in 100 Days
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here