*Kanye West’s experimental short film, “Cruel Summer,” had its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday, with girlfriend Kim Kardashian, Jay-Z, Big Sean, Pusha T and the film’s star Kid Cudi.
Co-directed by West and shot in Qatar, the 30-minute piece was projected on seven screens inside of a white-tented pyramid, to allow viewers a “full visual experience.”
Kanye said of his concept:
“You’re always looking at a Blackberry when you’re at a ballgame or the theater. It’s because of the amount of information we have at once. I was very particular about having the screens separate, where your mind puts the screens back together, the way you put memories together. I’m not the best director in the world, but I had an idea that I thought would be amazing to inspire people, like a dream of one day this being the way people watch movies… in this form that surrounds you. People want to go back and see it more and more because they missed something to their left or to their right, and it feels more like the experience of life.”
The film, featuring all new music from West, was described by GQ magazine’s Logan Hill:
Cruel Summer is the story of a Lamborghini car thief who falls for a beautiful blind Arabic girl who’s father will let them marry if he can help her see. So he (Kid Cudi) does, using strings that lead her around palace to play music. Kanye West says it’s a work in progress but it’s wildly stylish. Huge booming soundtrack, Vanessa Beecroft production design. Immersive fun. Kanye says he had to get script approval in Qatar. He needed 20 camels, 100 extras, and around 20 Lambos.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here