*Kanye West’s experimental short film, “Cruel Summer,” had its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday, with girlfriend Kim Kardashian, Jay-Z, Big Sean, Pusha T and the film’s star Kid Cudi.
Co-directed by West and shot in Qatar, the 30-minute piece was projected on seven screens inside of a white-tented pyramid, to allow viewers a “full visual experience.”
Kanye said of his concept:
“You’re always looking at a Blackberry when you’re at a ballgame or the theater. It’s because of the amount of information we have at once. I was very particular about having the screens separate, where your mind puts the screens back together, the way you put memories together. I’m not the best director in the world, but I had an idea that I thought would be amazing to inspire people, like a dream of one day this being the way people watch movies… in this form that surrounds you. People want to go back and see it more and more because they missed something to their left or to their right, and it feels more like the experience of life.”
The film, featuring all new music from West, was described by GQ magazine’s Logan Hill:
Cruel Summer is the story of a Lamborghini car thief who falls for a beautiful blind Arabic girl who’s father will let them marry if he can help her see. So he (Kid Cudi) does, using strings that lead her around palace to play music. Kanye West says it’s a work in progress but it’s wildly stylish. Huge booming soundtrack, Vanessa Beecroft production design. Immersive fun. Kanye says he had to get script approval in Qatar. He needed 20 camels, 100 extras, and around 20 Lambos.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Music Exec Salutes Billy Paul & Luther Vandross
- Before Muhammad Ali's Death, Son Says 'Evil Stepmom' Kept Him Prisoner
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young Because He Impregnated His Ex
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here