The now solo singer – once part of Floetry – explained that when she came to America from Britain over a decade ago, she never expected her life would turn out the way it is.
She started out pursuing a basketball dream, but quit after sustaining an injury. It seemed as if that might have been the change she needed in life as her dreams came to fruition.
“I didn’t know what was going to happen when I came to America. I was just like, ‘Oh, I’m doing this poetry thing,’ and then before I knew it I had a deal and I was living in Philly,” she said. “Then 12 years later, I still live in Philly; I can’t get out.”
Marsha credits her foundation and support system for getting her to where she wants to go. Her parents have always been there for her.
“If I told them I was going to be an astronaut they would be with it. I have those parents, like, ‘You want to do it? Okay, go in it 100 percent.'”
At first hesitant about Marsha’s change, her father was heartbroken over her sudden career path.
“He was upset because he didn’t know if I was going to take the music thing seriously and I told him if I did the music thing, I’m going to work with Michael Jackson and he was like, ‘Psht whatever’ and then I called him back a couple months later and I said, “Guess what, sucka?”
Marsha had the opportunity to write Michael’s song “Butterflies” for his 10th studio album Invincible. “There would never be anyone like him,” she said.
Check out the full interview at Sister 2 Sister.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Kim Zolciak Returning to ‘DWTS’ for the Nov. Finale
- Cassi Davis, Stephen Bishop to Host NAASC Scholarship Brunch
- Janet Jackson, Husband Spotted at Paris Fashion Week
- Rihanna Talks Casual Sex, Rachel Dolezal, Wanting to Change Chris Brown
- Health: You Could Possibly Have A Hidden Illness if Any of These Symptoms Show Up
- 27 Bill Cosby Accusers Set for NBC ‘Dateline’ Special (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Taps Husband Vince for Emotional 'DWTS' Routine (Watch)
- F. Gary Gray in Talks to Direct ‘Fast and Furious 8’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here