It turns out that the prominent Detroit clergyman and chart-topping gospel singing star was driving without a valid license when he was beaten, robbed and carjacked last week.
In fact, at the time, Winans had a warrant out for his arrest on driving-related offenses, records show, according to the Detroit News:
The warrant was issued March 15 for failing to appear in a Hazel Park court after he was ticketed for driving with a suspended license.
The state suspended his license most recently on May 9 after he didn’t pay two tickets issued in December in Hazel Park, Michigan Secretary of State records show. One was for previously driving on a suspended license; the other was for impeding traffic.
The gospel singer didn’t show at a March hearing in 43rd District Court in Hazel Park on the two tickets and a warrant was issued for his arrest, according to a court official.
Winans likely didn’t know about the issues because his staffers generally handle those personal issues, his spokeswoman, Erma Byrd, said Thursday morning. The notices weren’t received because he had changed addresses, and staffers recently discovered the unpaid tickets before the carjacking, she said.
“The issue is being addressed,” Byrd said. “A lot of that is handled by his administrative team, not by him.”
Winans released a statement Thursday afternoon that stated:
“The traffic issues listed in driver’s record that was recently released was in the process of being handled prior to the Wednesday, May 16 incident. The proof of payment and formal letter addressing the issue was submitted. I was not aware of any suspension of license due to change of address. All day-to-day correspondences are facilitated by my administrative staff. If something was a matter of great urgency they would have brought it to my attention”
Read/learn more at Detroit News.
- 'WAGS' Star Autumn Ajirotutu on Why She’s Not a Gold-Digger
- Did Enquirer Pay Nick Gordon $40K to Visit Bobbi Kristina’s Grave?
- George Zimmerman Calls Pres. Obama ‘Ignorant Baboon’ in Twitter Rant Over WDBJ Shootings
- Former NBA Star Darryl Dawkins (Chocolate Thunder) Dies at 58
- Chris Brown Tattoos Huge Bull on Other Side of his Head
- Judge Joe Brown in Jail for Contempt of Court (Listen to Him Challenge the Judge)
- Christina Milian Mourns Death of Newborn Nephew
- Spike Lee to Receive Honorary Academy Award
- IK Enemkpali Once Punched Man He Thought Was a Female Prostitute
- Hillary Clinton Disrupted by #BlackLivesMatter Protesters in Cleveland (Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here