*Three young men were arraigned Sunday in the assault and carjacking of Detroit pastor and gospel singer Marvin Winans.
The office of Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy identified the suspects as Detroit residents Montoya Givens and Christopher Moorehead, both 20, and Brian K. Young, 18, of Macomb County’s Clinton Township, reports the Associated Press. They are charged with carjacking, unarmed robbery and conspiracy, said Maria Miller, Worthy’s spokeswoman.
If convicted, the trio could be sentenced to life in prison.
The men appeared in Detroit’s 36th District Court and were ordered held on $200,000 bonds. Their preliminary examinations, in which a judge decides where there’s enough evidence for the case to go to trial, are June 1.
Winans, 54, was attacked Wednesday afternoon while pumping gas in Detroit. The robbers took his sport utility vehicle, Rolex watch, cash and credit cards.
“This is just an example of the diligence that our officers put forth when investigating criminal cases,” police Chief Ralph Godbee said in a statement Sunday.
Winans sustained bruises and scrapes and was treated at a hospital and released. He is pastor of the 4,500-member Perfecting Church and delivered singer Whitney Houston’s eulogy in February.
“I’m just saddened that it has come to this,” Winans said shortly after the attack. “This kind of nonsense just has to stop. It’s just the savageness of what’s happening in the street.”
He continued with that message Sunday, as his congregants welcomed him with cheers and applause.
Recalling what he said to a woman who gave him a ride to his church after the attack, Winans said he told her, “I’m just sad … to think we have reared young men to prey — P-R-E-Y — on people that they think are weaker.”
Winans told reporters before the service that he believes Detroit can be turned around.
“The city is fixable, and it starts with the men of the city, in particular the black men,” he said. “And I … want to urge all of you men who hear me to go and get your sons. I’m not bitter. I’m not upset. I’m saddened by what has taken place. But I’m also inspired. We have to make a change in this city.”
- What Style of Engagement Ring is Right for You?
- THE (07-06-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Staten Island Summer' to Release on Netflix July 31 (Watch Trailer)
- Aaron Camper's Back and is 'Hypnotizing' in New Video (WATCH)
- MTV Presents 'White People' Documentary
- Kanye West Could've Been Highest Paid on Las Vegas Strip
- Reach Media Welcomes 'Gospel Traxx With Walt Baby Love' to its Urban Lineup
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Video: Tidal Releases Bizzy Crook's 'From Everything Came Nothing'
- Tasha Cobbs' 'One Place Live' Releases August 21 on Motown Gospel
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here