*Michael Ealy returns to series television Friday night in the new USA series “Common Law,” which puts a twist on the age old practice of couple’s therapy.
Ealy, coming off a recurring role on CBS’ “The Good Wife,” stars with Warren Kole as dysfunctional LAPD partners Travis and Wes, respectively. They bicker constantly like an old married couple, so they get help from a no-nonsense therapist played by Sonya Walger.
“We were actually forced to go to therapy,” Ealy tells us during interviews for the series. “That wasn’t our call, it was our captain’s call. We kinda resent him for that.”
Producers noted that their relationship was an area worth examining for the course of multiple seasons.
“The specific component that sets this show apart for us as producers is we wanted to explore how men communicate with each other because there’s a difference between how men communicate versus women,” executive producer Karim Zreik told The Hollywood Reporter. “What happens when the guy you’ve been working with for seven years upsets you or you guys start fighting over something? Is it over in 10 minutes? Does it last a week? There were different elements of the male psyche we wanted to explore and there was no better way to do it than setting it in couples counseling because that is the last place men want to be.”
Below, Ealy and Kole say their characters do manage to get their job done effectively — despite not getting along.
“Common Law” premieres Friday, May 11, at 10 p.m. on USA. Watch a preview clip below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here