*Political scientists Hill and Wright said it’s possible some people unhappy about the president’s stand on same-sex marriage might not vote, but Burrell said staying home is out of the question, reports the SunSentinal.com.
“People bled and people died and suffered in order for us to gain the right to vote, so the option of not voting is one that we don’t have,” he said.
By Nov. 6, any erosion of support should be minimal, said Beulah Hill, 64, a Democratic Party activist who lives in the Park Ridge area of Deerfield Beach. “That’s not going to deter people from voting for President Obama,” she predicted.
When he pressed the barbershop opponents, Smith said, “Even folks that were against gay marriage and that were against the president’s stance admitted that when it comes down to it on Election Day in November, they’re going to vote for the president.”
Colon, the 89-year-old, said she’d do the same.
For many black voters, stressing over Obama’s view on gay marriage isn’t a priority.
“The real issue is what’s going on in the economy. That’s affecting our lives. Same-sex marriage is not affecting our lives,” said Lester Jones, who owns the Neighborhood Unisex Barbershop, where candidate Obama campaigned two weeks before the 2008 election. “You honestly think that over there in Afghanistan they’re worrying about who’s gay or not? They want to come home.”
“People are more concerned about issues that are more important, like how they’re going to put the next meal on the table,” said Carl McCoy, a Boynton Beach commissioner from 2002 to 2007 and former president of the county Caucus of Black Elected Officials. “Issues like that are secondary.”
Read the full story here.
- 'Empire' Costars Trai Byers and Grace Gealey Set to be Married
- More Sandra Bland Video Released to Prove She Arrived Alive At Jail
- Netflix Announces Mike Epps Special, 'Chelsea Handler Does Racism’, More at TCA Press Tour
- Paul Mooney Says Bill Cosby Got His 'N****r Wake-up Call'
- Shaq Doubles Down on Pippen: ‘I Don’t Let Bums Disrespect Me’
- Judge Tosses Orlando Scandrick’s Restraining Order Against Draya
- Second Suspect in 10 Days Dies in Custody of Houston Police
- Tom Joyner' Cruise Supports Students Featured on Hollywood Divas Season 2
- Azealia Banks Angers Australia by Calling Crowds ‘Belligerent’
- Report: Tom Brady Destroyed Cell Phone; NFL Suspension to be Upheld
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here