*Political scientists Hill and Wright said it’s possible some people unhappy about the president’s stand on same-sex marriage might not vote, but Burrell said staying home is out of the question, reports the SunSentinal.com.
“People bled and people died and suffered in order for us to gain the right to vote, so the option of not voting is one that we don’t have,” he said.
By Nov. 6, any erosion of support should be minimal, said Beulah Hill, 64, a Democratic Party activist who lives in the Park Ridge area of Deerfield Beach. “That’s not going to deter people from voting for President Obama,” she predicted.
When he pressed the barbershop opponents, Smith said, “Even folks that were against gay marriage and that were against the president’s stance admitted that when it comes down to it on Election Day in November, they’re going to vote for the president.”
Colon, the 89-year-old, said she’d do the same.
For many black voters, stressing over Obama’s view on gay marriage isn’t a priority.
“The real issue is what’s going on in the economy. That’s affecting our lives. Same-sex marriage is not affecting our lives,” said Lester Jones, who owns the Neighborhood Unisex Barbershop, where candidate Obama campaigned two weeks before the 2008 election. “You honestly think that over there in Afghanistan they’re worrying about who’s gay or not? They want to come home.”
“People are more concerned about issues that are more important, like how they’re going to put the next meal on the table,” said Carl McCoy, a Boynton Beach commissioner from 2002 to 2007 and former president of the county Caucus of Black Elected Officials. “Issues like that are secondary.”
Read the full story here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Gucci Mane Released from Prison Four Months Early
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Moves On…With a Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here