*Political scientists Hill and Wright said it’s possible some people unhappy about the president’s stand on same-sex marriage might not vote, but Burrell said staying home is out of the question, reports the SunSentinal.com.
“People bled and people died and suffered in order for us to gain the right to vote, so the option of not voting is one that we don’t have,” he said.
By Nov. 6, any erosion of support should be minimal, said Beulah Hill, 64, a Democratic Party activist who lives in the Park Ridge area of Deerfield Beach. “That’s not going to deter people from voting for President Obama,” she predicted.
When he pressed the barbershop opponents, Smith said, “Even folks that were against gay marriage and that were against the president’s stance admitted that when it comes down to it on Election Day in November, they’re going to vote for the president.”
Colon, the 89-year-old, said she’d do the same.
For many black voters, stressing over Obama’s view on gay marriage isn’t a priority.
“The real issue is what’s going on in the economy. That’s affecting our lives. Same-sex marriage is not affecting our lives,” said Lester Jones, who owns the Neighborhood Unisex Barbershop, where candidate Obama campaigned two weeks before the 2008 election. “You honestly think that over there in Afghanistan they’re worrying about who’s gay or not? They want to come home.”
“People are more concerned about issues that are more important, like how they’re going to put the next meal on the table,” said Carl McCoy, a Boynton Beach commissioner from 2002 to 2007 and former president of the county Caucus of Black Elected Officials. “Issues like that are secondary.”
Read the full story here.
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here