*Following his speech to the graduating class of Barnard College extolling the role of women in public life, President Obama made a return visit to “The View” on Monday -his fourth to the show, and second as president.
During his appearance, which airs today (May 15), the president chatted with Barbara Walters, Whoopi Goldberg, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd and Joy Behar about gay marriage, the JPMorgan Chase debacle and his take on American exceptionalism.
Near the end of his interview, Behar challenged the president: “Now, we know you know a lot about politics, you know about the law. But do you know about pop culture?”
“I don’t know, but we’re going to find out,” the president replied. “Fire away.”
“Which Kardashian was married for only 72 days?” asked Behar.
“That would be Kim,” replied the most powerful man in the world, who felt compelled to explain himself. “Because he was a ball player. I know he was a ball player. That’s how I know, from watching basketball.”
“Okay, this one you may not know. I’m hoping that you don’t, as a matter of fact,” said Behar, who plunged ahead: “What’s the controversial sex book that’s on millions of women’s bedside tables?”
The president drew a blank.
“I don’t know that,” he said, as the audience laughed and applauded, probably in relief.
The answer, as just about everyone else in the room knew, was “Fifty Shades of Grey,” the stunningly successful and literarily underwhelming novel about a naive college graduate who finds herself in a contractual relationship with a sadistic young billionaire who is into bondage and domination.
No one felt compelled to fill the president in on the plot. “I’ll ask Michelle when I get home,” he said. “I’ll ask Michelle when I get home what’s going on.”
President Obama’s last visit in July 2010 helped the talk show earn its best ratings ever, with 6.59 million people tuning in, according to the network.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here