*We know the “Miami Zombie” is Rudy Eugene. But who is his victim and what’s his story?
Police in Miami have identified Ronald Poppo as the man whose face was eaten off by Eugene in a horrific, bloody assault last weekend.
Poppo, 65, is in critical condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center, just blocks from where he was attacked by 31-year-old Eugene in broad daylight Saturday on the Downtown off-ramp of Miami’s busy MacArthur Causeway.
According to CBS Miami, Poppo’s arrest records — mostly for the sort of petty crime common among the homeless — show he has lived in New York City and New Orleans but suggest he has spent at least a good deal of his time in Miami since 1978. He is not found in Miami-Dade court records after a 2006 trespassing charge.
Interestingly, Saturday’s savage attack is apparently not the first time Poppo has been seriously injured Downtown. The Miami New Times reports that he was shot in Miami’s Bayfront Park by an unidentified person in 1976, spending five days at Jackson. His given address at the time was a local Salvation Army.
Gruesome photos circulating the web suggest that if Poppo survives Saturday’s assault, he may do so without much of his face. Hospital employees have so far not been able to contact any of Poppo’s family, according to CBS.
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Watch Obama Meet Woman Named Weezy and Break Into ‘Jeffersons’ Theme Song
- Queen Latifah Moved By Her Own ‘Bessie’ Performance: I ‘Made Myself Cry’
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. to Ronda Rousey: ‘Big Bank Take Little Bank’
- Beautiful Diversity of Redheads of African Descent Documented
- Zendaya Checks Twitter Hater Who Called her Parents ‘Ugly’
- Chris Brown Rips Baby Mama for Having a BF Accused of Forgery
- Watch Serena Williams Do Her Karaoke Thing with 'The Little Mermaid'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here