*We know the “Miami Zombie” is Rudy Eugene. But who is his victim and what’s his story?
Police in Miami have identified Ronald Poppo as the man whose face was eaten off by Eugene in a horrific, bloody assault last weekend.
Poppo, 65, is in critical condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center, just blocks from where he was attacked by 31-year-old Eugene in broad daylight Saturday on the Downtown off-ramp of Miami’s busy MacArthur Causeway.
According to CBS Miami, Poppo’s arrest records — mostly for the sort of petty crime common among the homeless — show he has lived in New York City and New Orleans but suggest he has spent at least a good deal of his time in Miami since 1978. He is not found in Miami-Dade court records after a 2006 trespassing charge.
Interestingly, Saturday’s savage attack is apparently not the first time Poppo has been seriously injured Downtown. The Miami New Times reports that he was shot in Miami’s Bayfront Park by an unidentified person in 1976, spending five days at Jackson. His given address at the time was a local Salvation Army.
Gruesome photos circulating the web suggest that if Poppo survives Saturday’s assault, he may do so without much of his face. Hospital employees have so far not been able to contact any of Poppo’s family, according to CBS.
- Former NBA All Star Vin Baker Training for Starbucks Manager Spot
- The Griswolds Are Back On 'Vacation' (Watch)
- The Second Deadly Assault on Sandra Bland
- Troubling: Two Officers Corroborated Killer Cop's False Account of DuBose Killing
- Audio Interview: Basketball and Art Unite to Inspire Youth Life Skills (Listen)
- Your MISSION: Laser Tag
- Kim Kimble, Celebrity Hairstylist Panelists at Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo~Aug 1&2@The Reef
- THE (07-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Black Comedienne to Compete on New Season of 'Last Comic Standing' (WATCH)
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here