*Samuel L. Jackson may be “emotionally disconnected” to his wife, but he seems more willing to reach out and touch when it comes to film critics with whom he disagrees.
New York Times critic A.O. Scott was on the receiving end of the actor’s Twitter missive after he gave a less-than-glowing review of Jackson’s new film “The Avengers.”
Jackson, who plays Nick Fury in the Marvel film, today tweeted: #Avengers fans, NY Times critic AO Scott needs a new job! Let’s help him find one! One he can ACTUALLY do!
Scott wrote in his review: “The secret of ‘The Avengers’ is that it is a snappy little dialogue comedy dressed up as something else, that something else being a giant A.T.M. for Marvel and its new studio overlords, the Walt Disney Company.”
Scott praises the wit that director Joss Whedon brings to “The Avengers,” but he found cumbersome the overwhelmingly large and effects-driven set pieces, specifically in the third act.
“The light, amusing bits cannot overcome the grinding, hectic emptiness, the bloated cynicism that is less a shortcoming of this particular film than a feature of the genre,” he wrote. “Mr. Whedon’s playful, democratic pop sensibility is no match for the glowering authoritarianism that now defines Hollywood’s comic-book universe.”
While Scott didn’t respond directly to Jackson’s Twitter slam, he did address the comment in a tweet back to New Yorker music critic Alex Ross, who had noted that Jackson’s sling was its own form of “glowering authoritarianism.”
Scott tweeted: “thanks @alexrossmusic and yet I have to say I feel more flattered than threatened. which may prove the point a different way.”
Read Scott’s full review of “Marvel’s The Avengers” here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- WATCH Queen Latifah's Hilarious 'Ice Age' Freestyle (EUR Exclusive)
- Rihanna Posts Crotch Video of Her Performance in Glasgow (Watch)
- Chris Brown’s Long Suffering Publicist Quits After He Curses Her Out
- Man 'Pulls Penis Out' to Scan on Self-Service Tray (Yes, He's in Jail)
- Pres. Obama Tries to Name Everyone Who Died on ‘Game of Thrones' - For a Good Cause (Watch)
- Sheila E on Her Prince Tribute for BET and its Emotional Toll
- BET’s Debra Lee on Jesse Williams, D’Angelo’s Absence, Electrocution Concerns for Beyonce, More
- Ludacris to Play Guantanamo Bay on Fourth of July
- Beyoncé's Mama Responds to Those Hating on Bey for Leaving BET Awards
- 2016 BET Awards See Spike in Viewership
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here