*Serena Williams is out of the 2012 French Open.
The highest-seeded U.S. woman was beaten in her match against Virginie Razzano at Roland Garros, marking the first time she has ever lost in the first round of a French Open — or any Grand Slam.
After winning the first set, 6-4, Williams, the No 5 seed, began to spiral down after failing to capture a tiebreak in the second set. Razzano won the second and third sets of the match to advance.
Williams appeared to be caught crying on camera during the changeover between the second and third sets. [Scroll down to watch.] She had jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the second set tiebreak before Razzano tied and eventually won the set.
After falling behind 5-0 in the third, Williams battled back to 5-3 but could not dig out of such a deep hole in the decisive set.
Razzano, from France, was ranked 111th in the world entering the match.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Supermarkets: Please 'Assume' We Would 'Like a Bag' (Unless We Say Different)
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Wives 'Having 2 Much Fun on Vacay' (Watch)
- How Prince Ended Up on Mobb Deep's Track ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’
- OWN Sets Two-Night Premiere for Ava DuVernay Series ‘Queen Sugar’ (Watch Sneak Peek)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here