*Serena Williams is out of the 2012 French Open.
The highest-seeded U.S. woman was beaten in her match against Virginie Razzano at Roland Garros, marking the first time she has ever lost in the first round of a French Open — or any Grand Slam.
After winning the first set, 6-4, Williams, the No 5 seed, began to spiral down after failing to capture a tiebreak in the second set. Razzano won the second and third sets of the match to advance.
Williams appeared to be caught crying on camera during the changeover between the second and third sets. [Scroll down to watch.] She had jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the second set tiebreak before Razzano tied and eventually won the set.
After falling behind 5-0 in the third, Williams battled back to 5-3 but could not dig out of such a deep hole in the decisive set.
Razzano, from France, was ranked 111th in the world entering the match.
- Amari Brown, 7, Shot and Killed While Watching 4th of July Fireworks!
- DeVon Franklin Answers Critics of Wife Megan Good’s Sexy Clothes
- 'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Honored by Black AIDS Institute (WATCH)
- Donny Osmond on Singing with Janet Jackson and Stevie Wonder
- Malia Obama Joins HBO's ‘Girls’ with Summer Internship
- New Top Rank Lawsuit Brings Monopoly Claims Against Al Haymon
- What Style of Engagement Ring is Right for You?
- THE (07-06-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Staten Island Summer' to Release on Netflix July 31 (Watch Trailer)
- Aaron Camper's Back and is 'Hypnotizing' in New Video (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here