*Serena Williams is out of the 2012 French Open.
The highest-seeded U.S. woman was beaten in her match against Virginie Razzano at Roland Garros, marking the first time she has ever lost in the first round of a French Open — or any Grand Slam.
After winning the first set, 6-4, Williams, the No 5 seed, began to spiral down after failing to capture a tiebreak in the second set. Razzano won the second and third sets of the match to advance.
Williams appeared to be caught crying on camera during the changeover between the second and third sets. [Scroll down to watch.] She had jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the second set tiebreak before Razzano tied and eventually won the set.
After falling behind 5-0 in the third, Williams battled back to 5-3 but could not dig out of such a deep hole in the decisive set.
Razzano, from France, was ranked 111th in the world entering the match.
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Watch Killing)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Future Scores First No. 1 Album with ‘DS2’; Tyrese's 'Black Rose' No. 3
- Sherri Shepherd Returning to 'The View' as Contributor
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here