*As previously reported, Gloria Gaynor, Gladys Knight, Thelma Houston and Sheila E. were due to honor the late Donna Summer during Wednesday’s “American Idol” finale, but the all-star moment never happened – with zero explanation from producers.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the salute, which also included Jennifer Holliday and Nelly Furtado, was scheduled for the first half of the two-hour show, but was pulled last-minute by the network.
Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe tells THR that the reason the medley was cut was “purely and simply time [constraints].”
However, some in the audience had seen a portion of the tribute taped at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theater on Tuesday, when Kristin Chenoweth and “Idol” runner-up Jessica Sanchez teamed for “Enough is Enough,” Summer’s chart-topping single with Barbra Streisand. The performance was described by one observer as “weak,” notes THR.
Some of the tribute participants were also heard rehearsing a medley on Tuesday night. In fact, according to a THR source, “Idol” had already paid for several of the artists’ travel and accommodations. Still, another insider tells THR that at least one of the women — Furtado — was never confirmed for the finale in the first place.
In related news, ratings for this year’s “American Idol” finale were the lowest in its 11-year history – and down 32% compared to season 10’s last show.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ohio Son (Trey Potter) Takes Mom (MelRo Potter) to Her First Prom (WATCH)
- DEA Joins Prince Ivestigation; Kendrick Lamar Joined Him in New Video (WATCH)
- Tyler Perry's Atlanta Mansion Sells at Historic Proportions! (Pictures)
- Larry Wilmore: Shut Up! - N**ger * N**ga Are Two Different Things
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here