The fighter, who boxing aficionados refer to as the the best pound for pound boxer in the game, will earn at least $45 million for the bout that will feature at most 36 minutes of ring action.
That is $1.25 million per minute of work if it lasts 12 rounds for the man many consider the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world right now. They call him “Money” for a reason.
Mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing since Mike Tyson was wreaking havoc in the 1990s. His pay is boosted by the fact that he controls the purse strings of his fights thanks to his role as a promoter through his company, Mayweather Promotions. Mayweather earned $40 million for his September bout against Victor Ortiz that had 1.25 million pay-per-view buys and grossed nearly $80 million from PPV.
Mayweather’s contract guarantee for the Cotto fight is $32 million, which is the largest guarantee ever for a boxer (Cotto is guaranteed $8 million). It breaks the record of $30 million held by Mike Tyson in his rematch against Evander Holyfield in 1997. Mayweather’s piece of the PPV revenue will bring his total take much higher.
In recent bouts Mayweather has netted roughly 50% of the gross PPV receipts. His last three fights have all eclipsed one million PPV buys. The Cotto fight could exceed 1.5 million buys at $60 a clip and net Mayweather as much as $50 million. It likely will be the second biggest non-heavyweight PPV bout ever. The record pay-per-view boxing event involved Mayweather, of course. His 2007 bout against Oscar De La Hoya had 2.4 million buyers.
Read/learn MORE at Forbes.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Donald Trump Cancels Meeting with Black Pastors
- Eyrkah Badu to Iggy Azalea: ‘What You’re Doing Is Definitely Not Rap’ (Watch)
- Meet Ice-T and Coco’s New Baby Girl, Chanel Nicole (Pic)
- Jury Selection Begins in First Trial of Freddie Gray Case
- For Every 3 Pointer Made Steph Curry Donates a Life-Saving Bed-Net to a Child in Africa
- Chrissy Teigen’s Planned Parenthood Comments Spark Twitter Beef
- Kym Whitley: Inspiring Adoptive Parents While 'Building Memories' [EUR Exclusive]
- Must See! Tracee Ellis Ross Sings with Mom Diana in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- Watch: Mr. 'N*ggers Gotta Learn How to Read' Resigns Police Chief Gig (After Only One week!)
- NYC Cabbie: Roker Snub a ‘Misunderstanding’; Peele & Peretti Get Engaged
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here