*William Balfour, 30, is expected to spend the rest of his life in prison after being found guilty on all counts in the killing of Jennifer Hudson’s mother, brother and nephew.
Balfour was found guilty of three counts of first degree murder and one count each of home invasion, residential burglary, possession of stolen vehicle and aggravated kidnapping.
Balfour, 30, was accused of killing the three in a jealous rage, believing that his estranged wife, Julia Hudson, Jennifer Hudson’s sister, was dating another man.
Prosecutors alleged that Balfour fatally shot Hudson’s mother Darnell Donerson, 57, in her living room, and then shot Hudson’s brother Jason Hudson, 29, as he lay in bed. He then kidnapped Hudson’s nephew Julian King, who was 7. Investigators believe the boy was shot in the head as he lay behind the front seat of an SUV.
The jury took 18 hours of deliberations over three days to reach its verdict. Jennifer Hudson, her fiance and her sister, Julia Hudson, entered the courtroom shortly before the verdict was to be read.
The announcement of the verdict came shortly after the jury told Judge Charles Burns that it was split but, according to The Associated Press, told him in a note, “We are trying.” Burns ordered a resumption of deliberations in hopes of the jury reaching an agreement.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Warren Sapp Pleads Guilty to Domestic Violence, Avoids Jail
- Man Sentenced to 20 Years in One Court, Then Leaves to Marry Girlfriend in Another
- Joseph Patterson Convicted in Death of Adrian Peterson's Son
- 'Family Feud': Sexually Provocative Q&As Have Viewers Alarmed (WATCH)
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here