The actress, who is most known for her roles on “Moesha” and “The Parkers,” was suffering from cervical cancer and was running out of funds to pay her growing medical bills.
She even had a website created by a friend to help her raise funds. Many of us were alerted to her condition by fellow “Moesha” actress Shar Jackson.
While many who learned of Wilson’s death this morning, many don’t know much else about her.
Here are 5 facts about her:
1. When and where was she born?
Yvette Wilson was born on March 6, 1964 in Los Angeles, California.
2. How she got started in entertainment?
In the early 90s, when she was majoring in communications at San Diego State University, she lost a bet and was forced to do a standup comedy show. Surprisingly, she never turned back and decided to make a career out of it.
3. The Big Break!
Her big break came with Thea, a short-lived sitcom in 1993. Thea was cancelled after 19 episodes.
In 1996, she took on her most important role to date, Andell Wilkerson, a supporting character on the sitcom Moesha, which starred one of her castmates from Thea, R&B singer Brandy Norwood. In 2000, she left Moesha for its spin-off The Parkers, where she would portray the best friend of Mo’Nique’s character Nikki Parker.
4. What movies did she star in?
She appeared in films like Poetic Justice starring Janet Jackson, House Party 3, Friday and the film parody, Don’t Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
5. The Moesha Curse?
Wilson’s death has made her the 5th member of the “Moesha” show to have died in the last decade.
Brandy once hit and killed a woman while her first boyfriend on the show Merlin Santanta, died at the age of 26. Mac, who played Andell’s boyfriend, died in 2008 from complications of pneumonia; and “Hakeem,” Moesha’s sidekick, was killed in a car crash more than 6 years ago.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Songs in the Key of Stevie Wonder and Imhotep Gary Byrd: Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship (EUR Exclusive)
- Former NBAer Delonte West is NOT Homeless - Sugar Babies Are Winning?
- Olympics-Bound Gymnast Simone Biles Can Not Be Stopped (Watch)
- Judge Joe Brown Banned from Practicing Law in Tennessee
- DMX Joins Keke Palmer, Aunjanue Ellis in Indie Film ‘Pimp’
- Kanye West Expands Adidas Partnership to Include Line of Apparel, Accessories
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here