The actress, who is most known for her roles on “Moesha” and “The Parkers,” was suffering from cervical cancer and was running out of funds to pay her growing medical bills.
She even had a website created by a friend to help her raise funds. Many of us were alerted to her condition by fellow “Moesha” actress Shar Jackson.
While many who learned of Wilson’s death this morning, many don’t know much else about her.
Here are 5 facts about her:
1. When and where was she born?
Yvette Wilson was born on March 6, 1964 in Los Angeles, California.
2. How she got started in entertainment?
In the early 90s, when she was majoring in communications at San Diego State University, she lost a bet and was forced to do a standup comedy show. Surprisingly, she never turned back and decided to make a career out of it.
3. The Big Break!
Her big break came with Thea, a short-lived sitcom in 1993. Thea was cancelled after 19 episodes.
In 1996, she took on her most important role to date, Andell Wilkerson, a supporting character on the sitcom Moesha, which starred one of her castmates from Thea, R&B singer Brandy Norwood. In 2000, she left Moesha for its spin-off The Parkers, where she would portray the best friend of Mo’Nique’s character Nikki Parker.
4. What movies did she star in?
She appeared in films like Poetic Justice starring Janet Jackson, House Party 3, Friday and the film parody, Don’t Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
5. The Moesha Curse?
Wilson’s death has made her the 5th member of the “Moesha” show to have died in the last decade.
Brandy once hit and killed a woman while her first boyfriend on the show Merlin Santanta, died at the age of 26. Mac, who played Andell’s boyfriend, died in 2008 from complications of pneumonia; and “Hakeem,” Moesha’s sidekick, was killed in a car crash more than 6 years ago.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here