*Cee Lo Green’s plan to judge the third season of NBC’s “The Voice” accompanied by a cockatoo has already ruffled the feathers of an animal rights group concerned about the bird’s welfare.
The singer recently made it known that he’s retiring his season two companion, a cat named Purrfect, and will appear in the upcoming third season with a Moluccan cockatoo named Lady. According to TMZ, the announcement had some bird activists worried because that particular species of bird is not only endangered but is said to make a terrible pet.
Monica Engrebretson, a rep for the animal rights organization Born Free, told the website that the stress from the show could cause the bird to self-mutilate.
“Moluccan cockatoos are beautiful, intelligent animals, but they are very challenging to care for especially in the long term, and are prone to considerable welfare problems,” she said. “Many parrot rescues are already filled to capacity with moluccans and other large parrots.”
Engrebretson said she is a fan of Green and is “glad that he appears to be an animal lover,” but she is asking him to choose another animal as his on-air pal.
“I encourage ‘The Voice’ to reconsider featuring a moluccan cockatoo or any bird as a ‘pet’ on the show and instead promote a more appropriate companion animal such as a dog,” she said. “Even better, they could feature a rescue dog or a dog in need of a home.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (02-10-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here