*Cee Lo Green’s plan to judge the third season of NBC’s “The Voice” accompanied by a cockatoo has already ruffled the feathers of an animal rights group concerned about the bird’s welfare.
The singer recently made it known that he’s retiring his season two companion, a cat named Purrfect, and will appear in the upcoming third season with a Moluccan cockatoo named Lady. According to TMZ, the announcement had some bird activists worried because that particular species of bird is not only endangered but is said to make a terrible pet.
Monica Engrebretson, a rep for the animal rights organization Born Free, told the website that the stress from the show could cause the bird to self-mutilate.
“Moluccan cockatoos are beautiful, intelligent animals, but they are very challenging to care for especially in the long term, and are prone to considerable welfare problems,” she said. “Many parrot rescues are already filled to capacity with moluccans and other large parrots.”
Engrebretson said she is a fan of Green and is “glad that he appears to be an animal lover,” but she is asking him to choose another animal as his on-air pal.
“I encourage ‘The Voice’ to reconsider featuring a moluccan cockatoo or any bird as a ‘pet’ on the show and instead promote a more appropriate companion animal such as a dog,” she said. “Even better, they could feature a rescue dog or a dog in need of a home.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- NYC Cabbie: Roker Snub a ‘Misunderstanding’; Peele & Peretti Get Engaged
- Black Pastors Dispute Donald Trump’s Endorsement Claim for Meeting
- How the #BLM Movement Stays Alive & Effective Outside Spotlight
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here