*Whoa! Now here’s an inspiring story.
Christine Ha of Houston isn’t letting being blind stop her from competing on the Fox reality show “MasterChef” for the title of Master Chef and a grand prize of $250,000.
Ha has been blind from the age of 19
According to the Houston Chronicle, Ha, 33, lost her sight at 19 due to Neuromyelitis optica. According to the Mayo Clinic, Neuromyelitis optica is an autoimmune disease which, among other things, attacks the optic nerves and can, as it did in the case of Ha, cause blindness.
Ha won a place in the contest with a braised fish dish
Ha was able to gain entry to the top 100 chefs for the “MasterChef” competition with a braised castfish in a clay pot dish, a part of her ancestral Vietnamese comfort cuisine, according to the Houston Chronicle. In Vietnamese, this dish is called Ca Kho To.
Ha cooks by being organized
Ha is able to cook while blind by being organized, knowing in advance which ingredients and kitchen tools are in advance. She also has talking scales and thermometers as well as reliance on her other senses to aid her. The sound of a sizzling pan filed with water or the smell of cooking garlic provide clues for her during the cooking process.
- Soul of the US Open: Serena Walks Over; Venus Grinds to Victory; Sloane Stephens Dismissed Early
- New James Bond Author Says Idris Elba is ‘Too Street’ to Play 007
- Bill O’Reilly Vows to Put #BlackLivesMatter Out of Business, Compares Group to KKK (Watch)
- Obama Phoned Widow of Texas Police Officer Shot in Cold Blood
- EXCLUSIVE: 4 Years After Suspended Life Sentences, Scott Sisters Seek Pardon
- Joe Brown Released From Jail After 5-Day Sentence
- Is New Will Smith Movie ‘Concussion’ Making the NFL Nervous? (WATCH TRAILER)
- Kim Fields Joins Fellow ‘RHOA’ Stars with $212,000 Tax Lien
- Sanaa Lathan and Michael Ealy Speak at The Hollywood Confidential (PHOTOS)
- White Florida Teacher Says She Was Fired for Having Black Boyfriend (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here