*Whoa! Now here’s an inspiring story.
Christine Ha of Houston isn’t letting being blind stop her from competing on the Fox reality show “MasterChef” for the title of Master Chef and a grand prize of $250,000.
Ha has been blind from the age of 19
According to the Houston Chronicle, Ha, 33, lost her sight at 19 due to Neuromyelitis optica. According to the Mayo Clinic, Neuromyelitis optica is an autoimmune disease which, among other things, attacks the optic nerves and can, as it did in the case of Ha, cause blindness.
Ha won a place in the contest with a braised fish dish
Ha was able to gain entry to the top 100 chefs for the “MasterChef” competition with a braised castfish in a clay pot dish, a part of her ancestral Vietnamese comfort cuisine, according to the Houston Chronicle. In Vietnamese, this dish is called Ca Kho To.
Ha cooks by being organized
Ha is able to cook while blind by being organized, knowing in advance which ingredients and kitchen tools are in advance. She also has talking scales and thermometers as well as reliance on her other senses to aid her. The sound of a sizzling pan filed with water or the smell of cooking garlic provide clues for her during the cooking process.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna Robbed, Threatens to Sue if Sex Tape with Tyga Leaks
- Chamique Holdsclaw Talks Mind/Game Documentary, Personal Struggle With Mental Illness
- Twitter Trolls React to Old Navy Ad Featuring Interracial Family
- Arsenio Hall Denies Sinead O’Connor's Prince Drug Claim
- Parents, Students Stunned as 2,700 Detroit Teachers 'Call in Sick'
- Beyonce Shows Up at the Met Gala Without U-Know-Who (WATCH)
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Logan Westbrooks, Music Industry Pioneer
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- No Biggie. White House Shrugs off Recent N-word Controversy
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here