Tamar and Trina Braxton (“Braxton Family Values”), Cee Lo Green (“The Voice”), Anthony Anderson (“Law & Order”), Sherri Shepherd (“The View”), Robert Forster (“Jackie Brown”) and Kim Coles (“Living Single”) to guest star on the first season.
*Going boldly after its target audience, TV Land has chosen specific African American websites to preview its “Hot in Cleveland” spinoff “The Soul Man.”
As previously reported, the half-hour comedy (formerly called “Have Faith”) stars Cedric the Entertainer as R&B singer Boyce “The Voice” Ballentine, who becomes a minister and moves his entire family, including wife Lolli (Niecy Nash), to St. Louis. There, he begins to preach at his father’s old church. [Scroll down to watch a music video from Boyce before he got the calling.]
The series will premiere on Wednesday, June 20, at 10 p.m. But TV Land is offering the entire pilot on Huffington Post’s Black Voices for two days beginning today, before it becomes available on other online platforms — including HelloBeautiful, a lifestyle hub for African-American women — on June 13.
Nash, who also has her own family reality show “Leave it to Niecy” on the Oxygen network, says “adding this series to her busy schedule was a no brainer.
“I was a fan, just from sitting down and taking the first meeting of the concept of how they wanted to shoot it; everything,” she told us. “And then I shared with them, ‘Oh, my God. I feel like you just ripped a page right out of my life.’ I used to be married to a pastor. We had a church. This is crazy. He was a singer. I was just, like, so many things lined up. We’re both from St Louis. So, I was just happy all the way around.”
Below, Ced says there isn’t much difference between his real job and the minister he plays on TV.
Jazz Raycole (My Wife and Kids), Wesley Jonathan (What I Like About You) and John Beasley (Everwood) also star in “The Soul Man.”
Tamar and Trina Braxton (“Braxton Family Values”), Anthony Anderson (“Law & Order”), Sherri Shepherd (“The View”), Robert Forster (“Jackie Brown”) and Kim Coles (“Living Single”) and Cee Lo Green (“The Voice”) will serve as guest stars this season
- Anthony Anderson will play Sweet Brown, Boyce’s (Cedric) old music-writing partner. Brown visits St. Louis to help Boyce get over his writer’s block for an upcoming sermon, but ends up pulling Boyce back into his old R&B star habits.
- Shepherd will guest star as Sherie, Lolli’s (Nash) cousin who is always up to no good.
- Trina and Tamar Braxton will play Rose and Catherine Pinkney, sisters who audition for the church choir only to find out that they are both dating Stamps (Wesley Johnathan), Boyce’s handsome younger brother.
- Kim Coles makes an appearance as Wanda, a church-going woman who stops by Lolli’s salon hoping to get a special shampoo that all the ladies are raving about.
- Robert Forster will guest star as Father Ignatius, the head of a St. Louis clergy organization that seems to closely resemble the mob.
- Cee Lo Green Green is set to appear as a flashy rival preacher who’s stealing congregation members from Boyce’s church.
Below, a video from Cedric’s character before he found Jesus.