According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the 15-year-old daughter of megachurch pastor Creflo Dollar Jr. told a 911 operator on Friday morning that she felt “threatened” being in the house with her father.
Then she went on to say the alleged violent altercation between them was not an isolated incident.
The paper says in the audio recording, the girl adds, “It was not the first time it’s happened.” Sounding calm and speaking directly, she said her father “punched … and choked” her.
At that point, Fayette Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Dollar residence where, after a brief investigation, they arrested Pastor Dollar and charged him with simple battery, family violence and cruelty to children. Later Friday morning he was released on $5,000 bond.
The televangelist and author, speaking from the pulpit at World Changers Church International Sunday morning, denied the allegations.
“I want you to hear it personally from me: All is well in the Dollar household,” said the former educational therapist, who received a standing ovation from faithful congregants. “A family conversation with our youngest daughter got emotional. Things escalated from there.”
Dollar said he neither choked or punched his daughter and explained away the abrasions on her neck as remnants from a case of eczema.
“I should have never been arrested,” he said.
Dollar, who teaches that God will bless the faithful with material rewards, has previously endorsed corporal punishment.
“There’s a place for it, and it should only be administered with temperance,” he said in a 2006 sermon.
Though church members appeared to accept their pastor’s account, Dollar’s 19-year-old daughter, who witnessed the altercation, told police her younger sister was telling the truth.
Whoa! Obviously somebody’s lying and at the very, very least, the pastor now has an image problem.
Read/learn more at AJC.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (02-09-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here