*Jada Pinkett-Smith has revealed that it was her daughter Willow who encouraged her to start working to raise awareness about human trafficking and sex slavery.
According to USA Today, Willow was so moved by watching the Kony 2012 video, that she began to research child trafficking within the United States. Willow said to her mother, “Mommy, you don’t know what’s happening!'” Jada told the newspaper, adding her reaction was to say, “Hold up, pause right there! And, [Willow] was like, ‘I’ve got to give my voice to this. These young girls out there need me.'”
Along with her husband, Will Smith, Jada visited the State Department yesterday (June 19, 2012) for Hillary Clinton’s release of the 2012 Trafficking in Persons Report. Pinkett-Smith has declared that she intends to continue campaigning to raise awareness of the issue, now that she knows how much of a problem it is.
“I was actually really quite ashamed that I didn’t know about this particular situation in our country, because when you think about human trafficking, you think about it ‘over there.’ Wherever ‘there’ is,” she said.
Jada has already recorded a song, “Nada Se Compara” for the Dontsellbodies.org website, with her band Wicked Evolution. Salma Hayek stars in the video for the song. [Scroll down to watch.]
“When you talk about modern-day slavery, you don’t see chains,” said Jada. “It’s all about the mind. . So, it’s a very layered, complex issue that’s going to take some time for us to figure out how to pull apart. . Right now, we just have to get aware.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Watch: The 'Steve Jobs' Trailer
- THE (10-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Chris Bosh & Rasheeda Appear on Tonight's 'ROSEWOOD' on FOX (Video)
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here