*(Via theGrio) – A Ku Klux Klan group in Georgia lost its bid Tuesday to join the state’s highway cleanup program, but a legal challenge to the decision may be looming.
Similar groups in other states have won legal battles after initially being turned down for highway cleanup programs.
The International Keystone Knights of the KKK in Union County applied last month to the “Adopt-A-Highway” program, hoping to clean up along part of Route 515 in the Appalachian Mountains. The state program enlists civic groups, companies and other volunteers to pick up trash, and the groups are recognized with a sign along the road they adopt.
Transportation Department officials met with lawyers from the state Attorney General’s Office on Monday and also consulted with Gov. Nathan Deal. The agency said Tuesday it would deny the KKK group’s application, adding that the program is aimed at “civic-minded organizations in good standing.”
“Participation in the program should not detract from its worthwhile purpose,” the department’s statement reads. “Promoting an organization with a history of inciting civil disturbance and social unrest would present a grave concern to the department. Issuing this permit would have the potential to negatively impact the quality of life, commerce and economic development of Union County and all of Georgia.”
Read/learn more at theGrio.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here