A two-year project reveals the first lady’s roots to the Civil War era. Author Rachel L. Swarns discovered many white relatives that scattered across the South.
“Meet Your Cousin, the First Lady: A Family Story, Long Hidden” includes the journey of discovering Obama’s family ancestry which interestingly connected her to retired bookkeeper, Joan Tribble.
Tribble’s legacy was birthed on the plantations of Georgia where her great great grandfather was a prominent slave owner.
Obama and Tribble are related.
The link was established through more than two years of research into Mrs. Obama’s roots, which included DNA tests of white and black relatives. Like many African Americans, Mrs. Obama was aware that she had white ancestry, but knew little more, says the Times.
Read more at NY Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Public Invited to Watch Kendrick Lamar Receive Key to the City of Compton
- Why Are (White) People Suddenly Afraid of Beyonce's Black Pride?
- Jada Pinkett-Smith Addresses Idris Elba's 'Beasts' Oscar Snub
- Aaron Neville Brings His Quintet to Santa Monica ... and Shares His 'True Story' With EURweb
- For My Animal Loving Friends, Check Out This Unlikely Pair! (Watch)
- Toronto Councillor Want Beyonce Investigated for Black Panther Ties
- He Used to Walk 21-Miles to Work, Now He Drives & is Overweight
- Malcolm Jamal Warner on Ride-Or-Die Friendship Between OJ and AC (Exclusive)
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here