A two-year project reveals the first lady’s roots to the Civil War era. Author Rachel L. Swarns discovered many white relatives that scattered across the South.
“Meet Your Cousin, the First Lady: A Family Story, Long Hidden” includes the journey of discovering Obama’s family ancestry which interestingly connected her to retired bookkeeper, Joan Tribble.
Tribble’s legacy was birthed on the plantations of Georgia where her great great grandfather was a prominent slave owner.
Obama and Tribble are related.
The link was established through more than two years of research into Mrs. Obama’s roots, which included DNA tests of white and black relatives. Like many African Americans, Mrs. Obama was aware that she had white ancestry, but knew little more, says the Times.
Read more at NY Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Man Who Read Book at Beyonce Concert Explains; Reveals Title
- Video of Prince’s Emergency Landing in Illinois Released (Watch)
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers, Grace Gealey Share Honeymoon Pics from Europe
- Faith Evans, Eric Benet, Aloe Blacc Added to Prince Tribute in L.A.
- Adele Stops Her Concert to Praise Beyonce; Calls Her ‘Jesus F***ing Christ’ (Watch)
- Why You Suddenly Heard Prince Music on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Scandal’
- 7-Year-Old Girl Wins Handwriting Competition With No Hands
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- La La Anthony, Monica Calhoun, Yvette Nicole Brown Join BET’s 'New Edition: The Movie'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here