A two-year project reveals the first lady’s roots to the Civil War era. Author Rachel L. Swarns discovered many white relatives that scattered across the South.
“Meet Your Cousin, the First Lady: A Family Story, Long Hidden” includes the journey of discovering Obama’s family ancestry which interestingly connected her to retired bookkeeper, Joan Tribble.
Tribble’s legacy was birthed on the plantations of Georgia where her great great grandfather was a prominent slave owner.
Obama and Tribble are related.
The link was established through more than two years of research into Mrs. Obama’s roots, which included DNA tests of white and black relatives. Like many African Americans, Mrs. Obama was aware that she had white ancestry, but knew little more, says the Times.
Read more at NY Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Stevie Wonder to Pay Royalties to Dead Attorney's Widow Forever?!
- Sheree Whitfield Lands Reality Series About ATL Real Estate
- Quvenzhane Wallis' Book Deal, J-Hud Says Son 'Saved My Life'
- Patti LaBelle, Quentin Tarantino + More on 'The Big Interview'
- 18,500 Parents, Students, and Educators Rally to Demand End to 'Tale of Two School Systems' in New York City [PHOTOS]
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Universal Pictures’ Steve Jobs is a Brilliant Look into a Genius' Mind
- Raven Symone Hates Ethnic Names, Nicki Minaj Beef, Kardashian's Named 1st Family | BHL's This Week
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here