A two-year project reveals the first lady’s roots to the Civil War era. Author Rachel L. Swarns discovered many white relatives that scattered across the South.
“Meet Your Cousin, the First Lady: A Family Story, Long Hidden” includes the journey of discovering Obama’s family ancestry which interestingly connected her to retired bookkeeper, Joan Tribble.
Tribble’s legacy was birthed on the plantations of Georgia where her great great grandfather was a prominent slave owner.
Obama and Tribble are related.
The link was established through more than two years of research into Mrs. Obama’s roots, which included DNA tests of white and black relatives. Like many African Americans, Mrs. Obama was aware that she had white ancestry, but knew little more, says the Times.
Read more at NY Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here