*Lauryn Hill, who performed in the Summer Jam slot vacated by Nicki Minaj following the latter’s beef with one of its DJs, took to Twitter in the aftermath of the show to clear up lingering rumors and give props to the Young Money rapper’s decision to walk away “with integrity.”
As previously reported, Hot 97s Peter Rosenberg dissed Minaj’s single “Starships” while on stage at the station’s annual event, saying it isn’t true hip hop. In response, Minaj’s Young Money boss Lil Wayne pulled all of his artists from the bill.
Hill then took the stage with Nas in a surprise appearance. [Scroll down to watch.]
Afterward, she stated the following:
“No disrespect to Nicki, but I need to clear up an inaccuracy. I was not scheduled to be a special guest on her set at Summer Jam, I was invited by Nas to perform with him. I don’t have details on exactly what transpired between the station and the artists, but I do support artists standing by their beliefs, and walking with integrity. We have to find a better way to commercially exploit music, while giving artists their proper respect. This cannot be done while taking their contributions for granted, or trying to control the scope of their growth and power through threats and fear tactics. We can do better than this, there is a better way, or else ‘we’ (the proverbial we) find ourselves in danger of being hypocrites!!!
Ms. Lauryn Hill “
Minaj quickly took to Twitter to touch on Hill’s words. “Thank u Lauryn. Nas was coming out on my set, u were coming out 2 perform w/him. That was within my set that was going to 2 continue w/foxy.” Minaj tweeted. “Coming from Lauryn it means the world. No one deserves this treatment. We’re all out here working. Have respect for your guests. #thatisall”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Glam-Horror 'The Neon Demon' is a 'Celebration of Narcissism'
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here