*Robin Roberts has been receiving support from her colleagues, fans, and even the White House following news that she has been diagnosed with a blood and bone barrow disease once known as preleukemia.
The “Good Morning America” host received a tweet from First Lady Michelle Obama stating: “Barack and I have you in our prayers. We believe in you and thank you for bringing awareness and hope to others.”
Roberts is expected to get a bone marrow transplant sometime this fall, with her older sister Sally Ann volunteering to be a donor.
Speaking on Good Morning America on Monday, Roberts defiantly stated, “My doctors tell me I’m going to beat this, and I know it’s true.”
Her sister Sally Ann said she was thankful she has the marrow that Robin can use, saying, “I’m just so very grateful that I did match her because there are many, many people right now who are dying for a match and have no one in their family who are eligible.”
Robin is understood to have developed the disease – known as MDS – as a result of her breast cancer treatment a couple of years ago, though Dr. Richard Besser – ABC’’s medical correspondent – says the manner of transmission is so rare, it only affects a few hundred people per year.
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here