*Robin Roberts has been receiving support from her colleagues, fans, and even the White House following news that she has been diagnosed with a blood and bone barrow disease once known as preleukemia.
The “Good Morning America” host received a tweet from First Lady Michelle Obama stating: “Barack and I have you in our prayers. We believe in you and thank you for bringing awareness and hope to others.”
Roberts is expected to get a bone marrow transplant sometime this fall, with her older sister Sally Ann volunteering to be a donor.
Speaking on Good Morning America on Monday, Roberts defiantly stated, “My doctors tell me I’m going to beat this, and I know it’s true.”
Her sister Sally Ann said she was thankful she has the marrow that Robin can use, saying, “I’m just so very grateful that I did match her because there are many, many people right now who are dying for a match and have no one in their family who are eligible.”
Robin is understood to have developed the disease – known as MDS – as a result of her breast cancer treatment a couple of years ago, though Dr. Richard Besser – ABC’’s medical correspondent – says the manner of transmission is so rare, it only affects a few hundred people per year.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here