*Robin Roberts has been receiving support from her colleagues, fans, and even the White House following news that she has been diagnosed with a blood and bone barrow disease once known as preleukemia.
The “Good Morning America” host received a tweet from First Lady Michelle Obama stating: “Barack and I have you in our prayers. We believe in you and thank you for bringing awareness and hope to others.”
Roberts is expected to get a bone marrow transplant sometime this fall, with her older sister Sally Ann volunteering to be a donor.
Speaking on Good Morning America on Monday, Roberts defiantly stated, “My doctors tell me I’m going to beat this, and I know it’s true.”
Her sister Sally Ann said she was thankful she has the marrow that Robin can use, saying, “I’m just so very grateful that I did match her because there are many, many people right now who are dying for a match and have no one in their family who are eligible.”
Robin is understood to have developed the disease – known as MDS – as a result of her breast cancer treatment a couple of years ago, though Dr. Richard Besser – ABC’’s medical correspondent – says the manner of transmission is so rare, it only affects a few hundred people per year.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Genealogical Firm Vets Man Claiming to be Prince’s Biological Son
- Watch ‘Little Miss Flint’ Run Into President Obama’s Arms (Video)
- Paul McCartney Covers ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ During Minneapolis Concert (Watch)
- Beyonce Adds Dates to North American Leg of Formation Tour
- NewsOne Now: Chicago Pastor Sues Police for Road Rage Attack (WATCH)
- Puff Daddy Announces Retirement from Music to Focus on Acting
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Cast, Directors Talk Black Panther, Spider-Man and ‘Selfish’ Cap (EUR Exclusive)
- Twitter User Shares Story About Horrifying Rape at Spelman
- Texas Mother of Kids 'Tied Up in Yard Like Dogs' Found in Cali (Watch)
- Ohio Son (Trey Potter) Takes Mom (MelRo Potter) to Her First Prom (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here