*As Robin Roberts waits for a bone marrow transplant this fall, news of the morning show anchor’s illness is helping others who need treatment, reports the AP.
The national bone marrow donation registry Be The Match reported Tuesday the rate of new registrants has more than doubled since the “Good Morning America” anchor announced on June 11 that she has MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease. Roberts helped supervise a bone marrow registry drive at ABC News headquarters in Manhattan.
George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer of “GMA” and ABC News President Ben Sherwood showed up by a cafeteria, swabbing material from their mouths.
Roberts, who will receive a bone marrow transplant from her sister, said her mother told her to “turn a mess into a message.”
“When I received this latest disappointment I did not know what the message would be,” she said, “and now I do.”
Jeffrey Chell, CEO of Be The Match, said some 15,000 people had registered since Roberts announced her diagnosis. That’s 11,200 more than the registry would normally receive in that period. Of those new people, some 60 to 70 will be judged a good match and have some of their marrow used in a transplant.
Roberts’ effort to publicize the bone marrow registry is reminiscent of Katie Couric at NBC’s “Today” show in the 1990s. She urged people to be tested for the same type of cancer that her husband had suffered and died from.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here