*When the news broke last week that star point guard Tony Parker’s eye was injured in the melee between the Chris Brown and Drake camps at Club W.i.P. , he made it seem like it was no big deal and it would not interfere with his plans to play on the French basketball team i the Summer Olympics next month. Well that was then.
Now comes word that the injury is a lot more severe than he first believed and will require surgery … and it could affect his professional playing career as well.
Parker’s cornea was scratched in the fight, and the San Antonio Spurs guard has revealed he had to have an operation to remove a shard that had “penetrated 99 percent” of his left eye.
Parker says “I almost lost my eye.” He did not join the rest of France’s team last Wednesday and will see a specialist in New York when he is cleared to take long-haul flights after July 5.
“I’m seeing a specialist in New York with the hope of being given the all clear to play in the Olympic Games,” Parker said. “Spurs are very worried.
“Anything can happen, including me being out of the Olympics. The decision doesn’t belong to me anymore. It’s in the hands of the doctor and San Antonio.”
Parker said he has been having hallucinations and been unable to leave his hotel room for eight days because of the risk of infection. He also has to apply five different products into his eye every two hours.
“Fear sets in,” Parker said of being told he would have to undergo surgery. “An eye is so fragile … I couldn’t believe it. But that’s life, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
“I didn’t have luck, but I came out well from my misfortune. It could have been worse. The rest of my career is not in question. I just have to wait for the injury to heal itself.”
Read/learn more at theGrio.
- Jill Scott Set to Perform Live on ABC's 'GMA' Tuesday at 7 AM
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Funeral to be Held This Week; Family Source Says She Will Be Buried Near Her Mother Whitney Houston
- Derek Luke Slams Instagram Trolls, Defends Interracial Marriage
- Bill Cosby Story Triggers Hacker Attack on New York Magazine Website
- Sandra Bland Co-Inmate Certain Suicide is Cause of Death
- Anthony Davis Turned Down 'DWTS' Because, 'I Can't Dance'
- Dionne Warwick Says Bobbi Kristina, 'In Much Better Hands Now’
- Celebrities React to Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Death
- Ice-T and Coco Are Gonna Have A Baby!
- Report: Joe Jackson Suffers Stroke/Blindness in Brazil
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here