*The last time Tyler Perry held a press conference for one of his films, he made headlines for his rant against Spike Lee, famously telling the director he “can go straight to hell.”
The comments were in response to Lee’s constant criticism of the mogul’s films as “minstrel shows.” In a 2009 interview, Spike said Perry’s movies “harken back to ‘Amos n’ Andy’.” Spike has also called Madea and other characters in Perry’s work “coons” and “buffoons.”
During the April 2011 press conference for “Madea’s Big Happy Family,” EURweb’s Lee Bailey asked Perry if he had anything to say in response.
“I’m so sick of hearing about damn Spike Lee,” Perry snapped. “Spike can go straight to hell! You can print that. I am sick of him talking about me, I am sick of him saying, ‘this is a coon, this is a buffoon.’ I am sick of him talking about black people going to see movies. This is what he said: ‘you vote by what you see,’ as if black people don’t know what they want to see.”
Fast forward to Sunday’s New York press conference for “Madea’s Witness Protection.”
Before asking cast member Marla Gibbs about her role in the film, Bailey asked Perry if he had anything further to say to Spike Lee.
Listen to Perry’s response below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Kobe to Receive 'Legend' Award, Gilbert Arneas Trolls Nick Young
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here