*The last time Tyler Perry held a press conference for one of his films, he made headlines for his rant against Spike Lee, famously telling the director he “can go straight to hell.”
The comments were in response to Lee’s constant criticism of the mogul’s films as “minstrel shows.” In a 2009 interview, Spike said Perry’s movies “harken back to ‘Amos n’ Andy’.” Spike has also called Madea and other characters in Perry’s work “coons” and “buffoons.”
During the April 2011 press conference for “Madea’s Big Happy Family,” EURweb’s Lee Bailey asked Perry if he had anything to say in response.
“I’m so sick of hearing about damn Spike Lee,” Perry snapped. “Spike can go straight to hell! You can print that. I am sick of him talking about me, I am sick of him saying, ‘this is a coon, this is a buffoon.’ I am sick of him talking about black people going to see movies. This is what he said: ‘you vote by what you see,’ as if black people don’t know what they want to see.”
Fast forward to Sunday’s New York press conference for “Madea’s Witness Protection.”
Before asking cast member Marla Gibbs about her role in the film, Bailey asked Perry if he had anything further to say to Spike Lee.
Listen to Perry’s response below.
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here