*The last time Tyler Perry held a press conference for one of his films, he made headlines for his rant against Spike Lee, famously telling the director he “can go straight to hell.”
The comments were in response to Lee’s constant criticism of the mogul’s films as “minstrel shows.” In a 2009 interview, Spike said Perry’s movies “harken back to ‘Amos n’ Andy’.” Spike has also called Madea and other characters in Perry’s work “coons” and “buffoons.”
During the April 2011 press conference for “Madea’s Big Happy Family,” EURweb’s Lee Bailey asked Perry if he had anything to say in response.
“I’m so sick of hearing about damn Spike Lee,” Perry snapped. “Spike can go straight to hell! You can print that. I am sick of him talking about me, I am sick of him saying, ‘this is a coon, this is a buffoon.’ I am sick of him talking about black people going to see movies. This is what he said: ‘you vote by what you see,’ as if black people don’t know what they want to see.”
Fast forward to Sunday’s New York press conference for “Madea’s Witness Protection.”
Before asking cast member Marla Gibbs about her role in the film, Bailey asked Perry if he had anything further to say to Spike Lee.
Listen to Perry’s response below.
- Rihanna Puts Support Behind Kanye West’s VMA Presidential Bid
- UCLA Footballer Ishmael Adams Robs Uber Driver; Suspended Indefinitely
- Greg King’s 'Postcards Central American Soul Food' is Top L.A. Food Truck
- Rachel Dolezal is Pregnant
- THE (09-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Nicki Minaj Wax Figure Getting Makeover After Fans Pressure Museum
- 'Selfish' Kardashians Being Sued Over Disruptive Fireworks Show
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here