*Christian rapper Lecrae first came to Atlanta as a teenager for a youth conference in 1999, but what ultimately convinced him to lay down roots here was its thriving gospel music scene, says Shreveporttimes.com.
“Atlanta is just a musical hub,” said the 32-year-old, who moved from Houston three years ago. “There are a slew of producers, engineers, artists and writers. There’s a wealth of outlets here, and it’s a community of artists who are here as well. That’s a major reason why I came here.”
Atlanta has become a key place of business for many of the heavyweights in gospel and Christian music, like Marvin Sapp, Mary Mary, Kirk Franklin and Jason Crabb. They flock to the city known to some as “gospel’s Hollywood” because of its flourishing R&B and hip-hop scene, an evolving television market, a variety of Christian and gospel record labels, and a plethora of mega churches. Some of the industry’s best, such as Francesca Battistelli, the group Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin and Dottie Peoples, reside in the city or in the suburban areas.
“Atlanta is becoming like the new Los Angeles,” said Sapp, the chart-topping gospel singer from Grand Rapids, Mich.
“Everybody and their momma are shooting all types of films here,” he added. “It’s becoming a regular hotbed for the entertainment field. And because of that, gospel is coming here as well. People are connecting. It’s becoming a very viable place for gospel artists to excel and be successful musically.”
Read more here.
- Uncle Luke Says Rappers 'Wasn't Wifin' Hoes' Before Kanye
- Louisiana Man: 'I've Never Had a Racist Bone in My Body' ... But Don't Tempt Me! (Watch)
- Derrick Rose Responds to Drugging/Rape Claims From Ex-Girlfriend
- Russell Westbrook's Weekend Plans Include Wedding to Girlfriend
- Flanagan’s Family Releases Statement in Aftermath of Virginia Shooting (WATCH)
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Karen Clark Sheard is ‘Destined to Win’; New Album Debuts at #2
- A Hate Crime is a Hate Crime No Matter the Color of the Perpetrator
- EUR Tech Review: Samsung 2015: The Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Plus (VIDEO)
- The Truth About Coffee and the Diabetes Risk
- THE (08-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here