*A veteran Texas pastor gave the last sermon of his life Sunday, collapsing and dying in front of a crowded sanctuary of churchgoers after preaching that morning.
Rev. Jerome McNeil, Senior Pastor of Christian Chapel CME Church in Dallas, had served the community there for 21 years, reported CBS local affiliate KTVT.
“All of a sudden I heard a thud and I didn’t know what it was. I looked around and he was gone,” church member Cherry Bullard told KTVT correspondent Steve Pickett. “It hurts to even think about it, but he’s in a better place.”
McNeil’s charismatic leadership helped the 150-year-old institution known as the Temple of Faith expand from a small chapel to a church that now has 7,000 members.
Before he was a pastor, he was the first black administrator for a Dallas County agency, second in command for the Juvenile Department in 1981.
- THE (07-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here