*A veteran Texas pastor gave the last sermon of his life Sunday, collapsing and dying in front of a crowded sanctuary of churchgoers after preaching that morning.
Rev. Jerome McNeil, Senior Pastor of Christian Chapel CME Church in Dallas, had served the community there for 21 years, reported CBS local affiliate KTVT.
“All of a sudden I heard a thud and I didn’t know what it was. I looked around and he was gone,” church member Cherry Bullard told KTVT correspondent Steve Pickett. “It hurts to even think about it, but he’s in a better place.”
McNeil’s charismatic leadership helped the 150-year-old institution known as the Temple of Faith expand from a small chapel to a church that now has 7,000 members.
Before he was a pastor, he was the first black administrator for a Dallas County agency, second in command for the Juvenile Department in 1981.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here