Scientists discovered a new tiny blood-sucking parasite that infests fish on Caribbean coral reefs. The name: Gnathia marlyi – named after Bob Marley.
Some may view this a bit disturbing and maybe disrespectful, being that the famous reggae singer stood for love, peace and harmony. But marine biologist Paul Sikkel sees it as paying homage to the late great singer.
He said the name came from a deep place in his heart, out of “respect and admiration” for Marley.
Like EURweb on Facebook
The creature is a new species within the family of gnathiids, parasites found on coral reefs, says the Associated Press.
Other celebs that have been honored with an insect include Stephen Colbert and Beyoncé.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Nuisance Abatement Law Seemingly Gives NYPD License to Evict Criminal and Non-Criminal Residents
- Toyota Motor Credit to Pay $21.9 Million for Discrimination
- THE (02-08-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Award Winning Pianist Kris Bowers to Perform at Benefit Concert.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here